As a part of the Minnesota State system, Hennepin Technical College receives funding via the legislative request submitted by Minnesota State.
Minnesota State is the fifth largest system of colleges and universities in the nation with 30 state colleges and universities across the state that serve as an essential resource to students, business, and industry.
In addition to requesting its operating budget, Minnesota State is requesting $178 million in new funding for fiscal years 2018 and 2019.
FY2018-FY2019 MINNESOTA STATE LEGISLATIVE REQUEST
$178 million in new funding over the next biennium
- $143 million to support and protect campuses like Hennepin Technical College
- $25 million for critical technology replacements impacting Hennepin Technical College
- $10 million for student incentive grants
"The [metro transit bus maintenance technician] program makes me feel good about myself. It gives me a better outlook on life. This is the best decision I have ever made. I can raise a family and retire with a pension."
-Marques Solomon, Hennepin Technical College Student
IMPACT OF THE MINNESOTA STATE LEGISLATIVE REQUEST TO HENNEPIN TECHNICAL COLLEGE
- Hennepin Technical College will receive $4.9 million of the $143 million supporting and protecting campuses, and an estimated 727 students will be supported by the funding for incentive grants.
A fully funded request will:
- Ensure continued investment in student support initiatives to meet identified educational goals, including veteran services and retooling the workforce to meet current market needs.
- Support services to improve completion rates and accelerate time to completion.
Not fully funded request will:
- Result in a reduction in the investment of instructional equipment and critical preventive facility maintenance, and a reduction in the development of new programs.
- Jeopardize technical program offerings.
- Adversely impact dual enrollment/PSEO programs by decreasing access.
To learn more about the impact of the Minnesota State legislative request to Hennepin Technical College, click here.
2017 HENNEPIN TECHNICAL COLLEGE CAPITAL REQUEST
Should any portion of the Minnesota State capital request be funded, Hennepin Technical College is included for:
- $5.4 million in asset preservation (HEAPR)
EXTRAORDINARY REASONS TO #FUNDMINNESOTASTATE AND HENNEPIN TECHNICAL COLLEGE
- Hennepin Technical College is one of 37 state colleges and universities that are part of the Minnesota State system.
- The colleges and universities that make up Minnesota State are home to 54 campuses, 2 of which belong to Hennepin Technical College.
- Minnesota State serves 396,000 students annually, and Hennepin Technical College serves 18,532 of those students.
- Minnesota State serves more students of color, first generation college students, and low-income students, including the 43% of Hennepin Technical College students who are students of color and the 44% who are Pell eligible.
- Hennepin Technical College partners with businesses and organizations such as Twin Cities RISE, Metro Transit, Metropolitan Council, Imagine! and Ford ASSET in an effort to make sure we offer the right programs, in the right places, turning out the right number of graduates who are prepared with the necessary knowledge and skills to be successful in the jobs of the future.
- Since 2014, Hennepin Technical College has awarded more than 2,100 degrees, diplomas and certificates.
- Our annual economic impact to our region is nearly $300 million.
See the Minnesota State Extraordinary Facts sheet by clicking here.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE LEGISLATIVE SESSION AND ITS IMPACT ON HENNEPIN TECHNICAL COLLEGE:
- Follow Hennepin Technical College on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube or Instagram.
- Follow Minnesota State on Twitter
- Follow any of these Minnesota State legislative session hashtags: #FundMinnesotaState, #54Campuses54Days, or #HEAPRisCHEAPER
- Visit the Minnesota State Legislative Session information page.
Last updated by jlaabs : 2017-02-03 12:15:22