LIGHT RAIL TRAIN TECHNICIAN - COMING FALL 2018
A new Light Rail Program Train Technician Program is coming to Hennepin Technical College.
- This is a new program which will begin in Fall 2018
- Program was created in partnership with Metro Transit, Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU), and Twin Cities R!SE
- Graduates of the program can anticipate earning $17 -$24 per hour as a new technician
This program will prepare students for working in the emerging career field as electro-mechanical maintenance technicians in light rail transit. Students will learn how to diagnose, test, repair and overhaul rail vehicles’ electrical, electronic and mechanical systems and equipment. Students will conduct safety and preventive maintenance inspections on rail systems, train borne electronics testing and communication systems.
Career opportunities as a skilled rail vehicle maintenance technician are available with many metropolitan mass transit systems. Students will also be able to work as electro-mechanical maintenance technicians in many industrial settings.
- Award Outcomes
- Demonstrate safe work habits in accordance with safety guidelines and regulations
- Identify tools and components that conform to light rail applications
- Perform preventative maintenance in compliance with manufacturer’s procedures
- Diagnose and repair AC/DC electrical circuits using system schematics
- Apply hydraulic and pneumatic principles to troubleshoot power transmissions
- Integrate electrical, programmable logic controller (PLC) and electronic hardware for light rail vehicle components
- Inspect and repair light rail electro-mechanical systems
Last updated by admin : 2017-09-26 15:13:31