LANDSCAPE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
- Program: Landscape and Horticulture Careers
- Degree: Diploma
- Credits: Total Diploma Credits 64
- Academic Planning Guide:
This program of study leading to a diploma gives the student a basic landscape/horticulture education the first year. The second year focuses on landscape design and landscape construction. The design area will include courses in drafting and graphics, residential design, estimating, presentation techniques and computer drafting. The construction area includes courses in blueprint reading, estimating, surveying, landscape installation and specialized hardscape construction.
Students completing this area of study will have employment options as landscape designers or construction specialists with design/building firms or landscape construction businesses.
- Identify plants and recommended uses.
- Operate landscape equipment safely and efficiently.
- Use hand tools safely and efficiently.
- Interpret blueprints and landscape plans.
- Measure a residential property.
- Design a master plan for a residential property.
- Complete working drawings with details for a residential property.
- Create complete landscape plans using CAD software.
- Construct landscape elements from plans and detail drawings.
- Layout landscape plans in the field.
- Demonstrate presentation techniques for landscape plans.
- Diagnose insect and disease problems of landscape plans.
- Calculate material quantities from plans.
- Determine and set grades and elevations in field.
- Communicate effectively with staff and clients.
- Analyze customer needs and recommend solutions.
- LNDC1110 Introduction to Landscape/Horticulture Careers 1
- LNDC1120 Woody Plants I Trees 4
- LNDC1151 Insects and Diseases of Landscape Plants 3
- LNDC1190 Woody Plants II Shrubs 4
- LNDC1202 Herbaceous Plant Materials 4
- LNDC1231 Nursery Operations 2
- LNDC1235 Landscape Operations 2
- LNDC1242 Plant Biology 4
- LNDC1271 Soil Science 3
- LNDC2110 Introduction to Landscape Construction 2
- LNDC2120 Landscape Construction I 4
- LNDC2131 Landscape Construction II 3
- LNDC2160 Sustainable Landscape Design I 4
- LNDC2171 Sustainable Landscape Design II 3
- LNDC2241 Landscape Equipment Operation 3
- LNDC1131 Arboriculture I 3
- LNDC1141 Nursery Propagation and Production 3
- LNDC1220 Integrated Pest Management 2
- LNDC1900 Specialized Lab 1 to 4
- LNDC2210 Tropical Plants and Their Uses 2
- LNDC2220 Turf Culture and Management 3
- LNDC2261 Professional Gardening 3
- LNDC2271 Landscape Computer Design and Applications I 3
- LNDC2280 Landscape Computer Design and Applications II 3
- LNDC2335 Landscape Construction Internship 1 to 4
- LNDC2345 Arboriculture Internship 1 to 4
- Any HTC 1000 level
higher general education course may be used to satisfy the elective requirements.
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses