ENGINEERING CAD TECHNOLOGY
The Engineering CAD Technology degree is designed for students seeking a career in the design and development of manufactured products. Engineering CAD Technicians are specialists in translating the rough sketches, layouts and written specifications of the engineer or more senior designer into a drawing showing complete details and specifications. For nearly every type of fabricated products, from a light fixture to a motorcycle, or a computer monitor to a bridge, a design technician is needed to detail the entire project and its component parts. Strength calculations, product reliability, computer aided design (CAD) and specifications, and cost of materials may also be the responsibilities of the person trained in the occupation.
Persons trained in Engineering CAD work for companies which manufacture machinery, electrical equipment, computers, fabricated metal products, and transportation equipment. Others are employed by the government in public works, highway departments, or ordinance plants. Advanced competencies qualify a person for employment in industry as a Engineering CAD Technician. Experienced technicians with CAD skills are in demand.
- Apply drafting standards to engineering documents.
- Prepare orthographic view drawings.
- Dimension detail drawings.
- Revise detail drawings.
- Process engineering changes.
- Generate detail drawings from layouts.
- Create assembly drawings.
- Create solid models.
- Capture design intent.
- Apply tolerances to drawings.
- ENGC1011 Engineering Drawing 3
- ENGC1021 Working Drawings 3
- ENGC1041 Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing 3
- ENGC1100 AutoCAD 4
- ENGC1160 Inventor 4
- ENGC1201 Industrial CAD Project 3
- ENGC1250 SolidWorks I 4
- ENGC1255 SolidWorks II 4
- ENGC2011 Special Fields of Drafting 3
- ENGC2075 Engineering Design Project 3
- ENGC2100 Basic Creo Parametric (Pro/ENGINEER) 4
- ENGC2110 Advanced Creo Parametric (Pro/ENGINEER) 4
- MACH1056 Blueprint Reading I 3
- METS1000 Computers in Manufacturing 3
- METS1020 Industrial Manufacturing Processes 3
- METS2000 Engineering Design Principles 3
- ARET1200 Introduction to Robotics 2
- ENGC1050 Additive Manufacturing 3
- ENGC1900 Specialized Lab 1 to 4
- ENGC2050 AutoCAD Upgrade Training 1
- ENGC2200 Engineering CAD Technology Internship 3 to 4
- FLPW1101 Fluid Power Technology I 3
- MACH1205 Machine Tool Technology 3
- METS2100 Statics and Strength of Materials 3
- Hennepin Technical College’s 2000-level general education courses meet the guidelines of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC).
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses