COMMERCIAL HEATING, VENTILATION, AIR CONDITIONING AND REFRIGERATION
- Program: Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
- Degree: Diploma
- Credits: Total Diploma Credits 36
- Academic Planning Guide:
With the increased need for energy efficient heating and cooling systems, opportunities in the commercial refrigeration field are unlimited. Work in the area of supermarket refrigeration contains perhaps one of the biggest challenges and requires intensive quality training. Ice cube machines, walk-in coolers and display cases require technical service skills. The air conditioning and heating areas include working on heat/cool rooftop units, chillers and large building systems that are controlled by electronic, electric or pneumatic systems. The technician should also have the ability to install and maintain large air handling units which have the capabilities of cooling, heating, humidifying, dehumidifying and cleaning air for human and equipment environmental control. Increasing energy costs have created a great demand for skilled technicians in the area of energy management systems. Prerequisite: Successful completion of the Residential Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning program or a minimum of 2 years related work experience.
Employment opportunities in the commercial heating, air conditioning and refrigeration field are based on each person`s goals and qualifications. Manufacturing, installation, servicing and engineering firms could employ an individual. Possible positions include: installer, quality control technician, service technician, layout person and designer.
- Obtain OSHA 30 Certification.
- Obtain the EPA Section 608 Refrigerant Handling License.
- Demonstrate knowledge of International Fuel, Gas and Mechanical codes.
- Troubleshoot electrical motors.
- Troubleshoot control circuits for refrigeration and A/C equipment.
- Troubleshoot gas heating equipment.
- Adjust water systems for HVAC and refrigeration equipment.
- Troubleshoot airflow systems for HVAC equipment.
- Solve problems using analytical thinking.
- HVAC1005 OSHA 30-Hour Construction Safety Training 2
- HVAC2001 Packaged Heating and Cooling Equipment 4
- HVAC2005 Commercial HVAC/R Safety and Servicing Procedures 2
- HVAC2010 Commercial Heat Pump Systems 2
- HVAC2020 Pneumatic Controls 2
- HVAC2030 Commercial Ice Making Machines 3
- HVAC2041 Gas/Refrigeration (Mechanical) Code 1
- HVAC2050 Electrical for Commercial HVAC&R Equipment 2
- HVAC2060 Computer Room Air Conditioning 1
- HVAC2100 Water Chiller Machines 3
- HVAC2111 Low Pressure Steam and Water Boilers 2
- HVAC2121 Refrigerated Coolers and Cases 4
- HVAC2130 Supermarket Refrigeration 3
- HVAC2165 Air Handling Units 1
- Any HTC college level general education course may be used to satisfy the elective requirement.
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses