- Program: Culinary Arts
- Degree: Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Credits: Total Associate in Applied Science Degree Credits 65
- Academic Planning Guide:
The Culinary Arts A.A.S. degree prepares individuals for career opportunities in hotels, restaurants, clubs and institutional food service facilities. Responsibilities may include menu planning, purchasing food, equipment, and supplies, selecting, and developing recipes, selecting and using various food preparation methods and techniques. Management duties may include, but are not limited to financial planning, hiring, training and supervising employees.
Employment may be found in hotels, restaurants, clubs, health care facilities, schools, resorts and many other food related operations. Depending on qualifications and experience numerous positions are available to graduates such as restaurant cooks, banquet cooks, bakers, assistant pastry chefs, pantry personnel, kitchen managers, food salespersons, personal chefs, purchasing clerks, caterers, and entry-level chef/managers are some of the many career positions possible upon course completion. Students who complete the Culinary Arts program are eligible to pursue American Culinary Federation certification. The American Culinary Federation accrediting commission nationally accredits the curriculum at Hennepin Technical College.
- Prepare high quality food in a cost effective and efficient manner as utilized in professional foodservice operations.
- Demonstrate ability to meet Certified Culinarian requirements of the American Culinary Federation.
- Exhibit knowledge and hands-on ability to perform the activities of all key personnel engaged in food service production operations.
- Design a variety of menus, select recipes, plan food consumption, procure appropriate products, properly store items and prepare them to American Culinary Federation accepted professional standards.
- Apply mathematical, reading, and communication skills essential to the food service industry.
- Practice positive human relationship skills with the diverse population of the hospitality industry employees and guests.
- Create a professional career plan utilizing portfolio format.
- CULA1000 Food Service Math 1
- CULA1106 Introduction to the Hospitality Industry 2
- CULA1116 Sanitation and Safety 1
- CULA1126 Basic Baking and Pastry 4
- CULA1136 Basic Garde Manger and Entremétier 4
- CULA1156 Basic Food Preparation 4
- CULA1301 Culinary Arts Nutrition 2
- CULA1321 Decorative Work and Showpieces 2
- CULA1325 Menu Planning 2
- CULA1335 Purchasing and Cost Control 2
- CULA1525 Dining Room Service 4
- CULA1530 Advanced Baking and Pastry 4
- CULA1535 Advanced Garde Manger and Entremétier 4
- CULA1540 Advanced Food Preparation 4
- CULA1700 Human Relations Management 2
- CULA1710 Beverage Management 2
- CULA2056 Global Cuisine 4
- CULA2075 Catering 2
- Hennepin Technical College’s 2000-level general education courses meet the guidelines of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC).