MEDIUM/HEAVY TRUCK MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
- Program: Medium/Heavy Truck Technology
- Degree: Diploma
- Credits: Total Diploma Credits 43
- Academic Planning Guide:
Students in this Medium/Heavy Truck Maintenance Technician program will split their learning between the college and industry at a paid internship site. This is a one-year, three-semester course of instruction including: classroom theory, shop demonstrations, and hands-on skill development. Some of the areas of study are: truck preventive maintenance, electrical systems, air and hydraulic ABS brake systems, heating and air conditioning systems, diesel engine systems, and steering and suspension systems. Much of the shop work is performed on actual vehicles and engines in operating condition. Students entering the Medium/Heavy Truck Technology program must be eligible to obtain a commercial drivers license and be able to pass a DOT (Department of Transportation) physical, drug screening, and background check as a condition of employment for the internship portion of the program.
Career opportunities as a skilled maintenance technician are available in truck dealerships, leasing companies, trucking fleets, and independent truck repair shops.
- Perform vehicle inspection procedures.
- Perform preventative maintenance.
- Repair vehicle electrical systems.
- Repair truck brake systems.
- Analyze ABS brake systems.
- Repair truck steering systems.
- Repair truck suspension systems.
- Diagnose truck HVAC systems.
- Interpret diagnostic tool readings.
- MHTT1002 Truck Technology Fundamentals 2
- MHTT1011 Electricity in Truck Technology I 4
- MHTT1015 Electricity in Truck Technology II 3
- MHTT1020 Vehicle Service 3
- MHTT1031 Internship/Industry Partnership I 6
- MHTT1100 Hydraulic Brake Systems 3
- MHTT1115 Air Brake Systems and Controls 3
- MHTT1131 Internship/Industry Partnership II 6
- MHTT1200 Steering and Suspension Systems 3
- MHTT1300 Introduction to Diesel Engines 3
- MHTT1321 Heating and Air Conditioning 3
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses