- Program: Landscape and Horticulture Careers
- Degree: Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Credits: Total Associate in Applied Science Degree Credits 72
- Academic Planning Guide:
This program of study leading to a degree concentrates on the multi-faceted career opportunities available in the landscape horticulture industry. Students will study a variety of required subjects and elective courses allowing them to customize their program. This is an excellent general program leading to varied opportunities in the landscape or greenhouse/nursery industry.
Employment options include greenhouse/nursery production, grounds care, retail and wholesale sales, interior landscaping, landscape installation and many specialized areas such as garden design and as municipal tree inspectors.
- Demonstrate knowledge of greenhouse operation and management.
- Demonstrate knowledge of nursery production and nursery crop management.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the care and maintenance of trees in the landscape.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the care and maintenance of turf.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the care and maintenance of landscapes.
- Diagnose abiotic and biotic tree problems.
- Recommend solutions for tree problems.
- Communicate effectively with staff and clients.
- Design flowerbeds.
- Install landscapes.
- Demonstrate knowledge of pesticides and their safe use.
- Diagnose abiotic and biotic turf problems.
- Recommend solutions for turf problems.
- Diagnose abiotic and biotic landscape plant problems.
- Recommend solutions for landscape plant problems.
- Propagate nursery crops.
- Use hand tools safely and efficiently.
- Operate landscape and turf equipment safely and efficiently.
- Identify plants and recommend uses.
- LNDC1110 Introduction to Landscape/Horticulture Careers 1
- LNDC1120 Woody Plants I Trees 4
- LNDC1131 Arboriculture I 3
- LNDC1141 Nursery Propagation and Production 3
- LNDC1151 Insects and Diseases of Landscape Plants 3
- LNDC1190 Woody Plants II Shrubs 4
- LNDC1202 Herbaceous Plant Materials 4
- LNDC1220 Integrated Pest Management 2
- LNDC1231 Nursery Operations 2
- LNDC1235 Landscape Operations 2
- LNDC1242 Plant Biology 4
- LNDC1250 Bedding Plant Production 3
- LNDC1271 Soil Science 3
- LNDC2220 Turf Culture and Management 3
- LNDC2241 Landscape Equipment Operation 3
- LNDC2261 Professional Gardening 3
- MATH1007 Math for the Trades 2
- LNDC1160 Greenhouse Operation and Management 2
- LNDC1166 Greenhouse Crop Production Fall 3
- LNDC1176 Greenhouse Crop Production Winter 3
- LNDC1187 Greenhouse Crop Production Summer 2
- LNDC1900 Specialized Lab 1-4
- LNDC2110 Introduction to Landscape Construction 2
- LNDC2120 Landscape Construction I 4
- LNDC2131 Landscape Construction II 3
- LNDC2160 Sustainable Landscape Design I 4
- LNDC2210 Interior Foliage Plants 2
- LNDC2335 Landscape Construction Internship 1-4
- LNDC2345 Arboriculture Internship 1-4
- LNDC2350 Grounds Maintenance Internship 1-4
- LNDC2360 Horticulture Internship 1-4
- FLWR1100 Fresh Cut Flower/Foilage Care, Handling and Identification 2
- FLWR1112 Foliage and Flowering Plant Care, Handling and Identification 1
- FLWR1201 Fresh Flower Design 3
- Hennepin Technical College’s 2000-level general education courses meet the guidelines of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC).
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses