- Program: Welding and Metal Fabrication
- Degree: Diploma
- Credits: Total Diploma Credits 55
- Academic Planning Guide:
This diploma will provide students with the entry-level skills and knowledge to perform as a shielded metal arc welder (SWAW); gas tungsten arc welder (GTAW) and as a gas metal arc welder (GMAW) with a minimum of supervision in all positions on ferrous and non ferrous metals. You can obtain entry-level employment by just taking a few courses that will lead towards a certificate in MIG or TIG welding. Taking additional courses will provide you with the opportunity for job advancement as a welder. Welding courses are also valuable for persons who have careers or interests that require some welding knowledge.
There are many employment opportunities available in the following areas: construction, transportation, manufacturing industry, sheet metal industry, custom job shops, medical/pharmaceutical industry, pipe/tubing, food industry and the aerospace industry.
- Utilize safe working techniques and practices.
- Set-up welding and cutting equipment.
- Operate welding and cutting equipment.
- Produce welds with the Gas Metal Arc Welding Process in steel.
- Produce welds with the Flux Cored Arc Welding process in steel.
- Produce welds with the Shielded Metal Arc Welding process in steel.
- Produce welds with the Gas Tungsten Arc Welding process in steel, stainless steel, and aluminum.
- Interpret blueprints and welding symbols.
- Preform basic lay-outs on various materials.
- Apply metallurgical principles to welding and fabrication processes.
- Determine the quality of welds.
- Identify steps and procedures in the Flux Cored Arc Welding process.
- Identify steps and procedures in the Shielded Metal Arc Welding process.
- Identify steps and procedures in the Gas Metal Arc Welding process.
- Identify steps and procedures in Gas Tungsten Arc Welding process.
- WLDG1010 Practical Application for Estimating and Layout 2
- WLDG1135 Gas Metal Arc Welding I 3
- WLDG1140 Gas Metal Arc Welding II 3
- WLDG1165 Gas Metal Arc Welding III 3
- WLDG1175 GMAW Fabrication Methods 3
- WLDG1182 Blueprint Reading for Welders 2
- WLDG1220 Gas Tungsten Arc Welding I 3
- WLDG1225 Gas Tungsten Arc Welding II 3
- WLDG1235 Gas Tungsten Arc Welding III 3
- WLDG1245 GTAW Fabrication Methods 3
- WLDG1310 Shielded Metal Arc Welding I 3
- WLDG1320 Shielded Metal Arc Welding II 3
- WLDG1330 Shielded Metal Arc Welding III 3
- WLDG1340 Structural Iron Fabrication Methods 3
- WLDG1350 Flux Cored Arc Welding I 3
- WLDG1360 Flux Cored Arc Welding II 3
- Any HTC college level general education course may be used to satisfy the elective requirement.