MEDICAL CODING SPECIALIST
This program is offered in partnership with Anoka Technical College, and the award is issued by Anoka Technical College. Medical coders are clinical data professionals who translate written medical documentation into alpha-numeric codes to comply with medical reimbursement procedures and health information data requirements. Accuracy and knowledge of patient confidentiality laws are required. Information on Anoka Technical College courses can be found at www.anokatech.edu or by calling 763-576-4700.
Career opportunities are available for individuals in health care settings such as clinics, hospitals, and nursing homes. Note: A minimum course grade of a "C" must be earned in each of the courses to meet graduation requirements.
- Analyze medical record documentation in order to assign diagnostic and procedure codes.
- Provide important information for the health care reimbursement process.
- Assist in medical research and statistics.
- ADSC-1252 Professional Practice for Coding Specialists (Anoka) 3
- CPLT1005 Skill Building and Document Processing 3 HITM-1130 ICD-10-CM Coding (Anoka) 3 HITM-1200 Billing and Reimbursement (Anoka) 2 HITM-1221 Introduction to Health Information Management (Anoka) 3 HITM-1230 ICD-10-PCS (Anoka) 3 HITM-1240 CPT Coding (Anoka) 3 HITM-1244 Law and Ethics (Anoka) 2 HITM-1250 Advanced Coding (Anoka) 2
- HLTH1020 Disease Conditions 3
HLTH-1000 Disease Conditions (Anoka) 2
- BIOL2045 Human Biology 4
HLTH-1005 Anatomy and Physiology (Anoka) 4
- OFCR1301 Medical Terminology 4 NURS-1140 Pharmacology I (Anoka) 2
- PHIL2100 Critical Thinking 3
- Choose six credits from two of the discipline areas below: 6 SPCH (Anoka), ENGL (Anoka -or- HTC), -or- COMM (HTC)
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses