MEDICAL CODING SPECIALIST
This program is offered in partnership with Anoka Technical College, and the award is issued by Anoka Technical College. Medical coders are clinical data professionals who translate written medical documentation into alpha-numeric codes to comply with medical reimbursement procedures and health information data requirements. Accuracy and knowledge of patient confidentiality laws are required. Information on Anoka Technical College courses can be found at www.anokatech.edu or by calling 763-576-4700.
Career opportunities are available for individuals in health care settings such as clinics, hospitals, and nursing homes. Note: A minimum course grade of a "C" must be earned in each of the courses to meet graduation requirements.
- Analyze medical record documentation in order to assign diagnostic and procedure codes.
- Provide important information for the health care reimbursement process.
- Assist in medical research and statistics.
- ADSC1252 Professional Practice for Coding Specialists (Anoka) ~ 3
- CPLT1005 Advanced Keyboarding and Document Processing 3
- HITM1130 ICD-10-CM Coding (Anoka) ~ 3
- HITM1200 Billing and Reimbursement (Anoka) ~ 2
- HITM1221 Introduction to Health Information Management (Anoka) ~ 3
- HITM1230 ICD-10-PCS (Anoka) ~ 3
- HITM1240 CPT Coding (Anoka) ~ 3
- HITM1244 Law and Ethics (Anoka) ~ 2
- HITM1250 Advanced Coding (Anoka) ~ 2
- HLTH1020 Disease Conditions 3
- HLTH1000 Disease Conditions (Anoka) ~ 2
- BIOL2045 Human Biology 4
- HLTH1005 Anatomy and Physiology (Anoka) ~ 4
- OFCR1301 Medical Terminology 4
- CCDS1100 Student Success 3
- Choose six credits from two of the discipline areas below: 6 SPCH (Anoka), ENGL (Anoka -or- HTC), -or- COMM (HTC)
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses