MEDICAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
- Program: Medical Office Careers
- Degree: Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Credits: Total Associate in Applied Science Degree Credits 60
- Academic Planning Guide:
Medical administrative assistants have the opportunity to work on health care teams. Duties performed utilize a knowledge of medical terminology as well as hospital and clinic procedures and may include transcription of reports and correspondence, appointment and meeting scheduling, patient file and office record maintenance, billing and insurance processing. This career requires excellent communication skills and knowledge of patient confidentiality laws. This degree provides students with a broad general education in addition to the technical component to maximize employment opportunities and potential. Prerequisite: Qualifying score on computer literacy assessment test OR CPLT1100. Prerequisite: CPLT1000 Computer Keyboarding or qualifying score on keyboarding assessment test.
Individuals may choose to work in an acute care facility, outpatient clinic, extended care facility, medical insurance office, research facility or another medical environment.
- Apply medical terminology.
- Utilize appropriate software.
- Transcribe medical reports and correspondence.
- Key business correspondence.
- Communicate proper English and grammar.
- Apply medical coding principles.
- Document telephone communication.
- Schedule appointments.
- Demonstrate accounting principles.
- Illustrate professional behavior.
- Demonstrate insurance and billing procedures.
- Interpret HIPAA regulations.
- Utilize electronic health record.
- ACCT1000 Introduction to Accounting 3
- ACCT1102 Principles of Accounting I 4
- ACCT1125 Excel 3
- CCIS1035 Word 2016 3
- CCIS1080 Microsoft Office 2016 3
- CCDS1040 Job Seeking Skills 2
- CPLT1005 Advanced Keyboarding and Document Processing 3
- ENGL1010 Business English 3
- OFCR1301 Medical Terminology 4
- OFCR1317 Medical Office Procedures 4
- OFCR1331 Medical Document Processing 4
- OFCR1335 Medical Coding and Reimbursement Fundamentals 4
- OFCR1340 Medical Office Management 3
- Any ACCT, BUSN, CCIS, EMSV, -or- OFCR course that is not required for this award may be used as an elective. Recommended:
- EMSV1020 CPR/First Aid 1
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses