- Program: Child Development Careers
- Degree: Associate of Science
- Credits: Total Associate of Science Credits 60
- Academic Planning Guide:
This degree is designed to prepare individuals for employment in a variety of early child care and educational settings as teachers, family child care providers or nannies. Persons working in this profession provide a healthy, safe and developmentally appropriate environment in support of families. Students learn how to plan age appropriate activities which recognize the diversity of children and families. This degree expands the student's knowledge of child development in areas of communication, writing and developmental skills. Many employers recognize the benefit from this extensive training and require a degree of the employees at the teacher level. This award will transfer to select other institutions towards a Bachelors Degree.
Job opportunities are available in child care centers, special needs programs, in home care (nanny), family child care, schoolage care, recreational and parent/child programs. Upon completion of an articulated bachelor's degree, there are expanded opportunities in early childhood programs, as well as the ability to teach through third grade in public school systems.
- Develop self-reflective habits as an early childhood professional.
- Implement developmentally appropriate curriculum and teaching practices.
- Apply developmental theories and practices.
- Implement assessment and curriculum cycle.
- Cultivate family and community relationships.
- Develop an environment that honors diversity.
- CDEV1105 Introduction to Early Childhood Careers 3
- CDEV1125 Guiding Children's Behavior 3
- CDEV1130 Learning Environment and Curriculum 4
- CDEV1160 Observation and Assessment 3
- CDEV1500 Child Growth and Development 3
- CDEV1530 Health, Safety and Nutrition 3
- CDEV1550 Curriculum Planning 3
- CDEV1725 Practicum I 3
- CDEV2015 Organizational Leadership and Management 2
- CDEV2075 Working with Diverse Families and Children 3
- BIOL2001 Biology in Society 4
- ENGL2121 Writing and Research 4
- MATH2200 College Algebra 4 Gen Ed
- Choose one additional course from MnTC Goal Area 1 3 Gen Ed
- Choose one course from MnTC Goal Area 2 3 Gen Ed
- Choose one course from MnTC Goal Area 5 3 Gen Ed
- Choose one course from MnTC Goal Area 7 3 Gen Ed
- Choose an additional six credits from any MnTC Goal Area 6
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses