URBAN FORESTRY TECHNICIAN
- Program: Landscape and Horticulture Careers
- Degree: Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Credits: Total Associate in Applied Science Degree Credits 60
- Academic Planning Guide:
This program of study will lead to a degree in the multi-faceted area of Arboriculture. The tree care industry has expanded over the years to include areas of conservation, landscape maintenance and management issues as well. Extensive employment opportunities are available nationwide. Students will study a variety of required subjects and elective courses allowing them to customize their program.
Employment options include career opportunities in municipalities, park districts; utility companies; private residential sites; and commercial tree service companies. Each of these areas utilizes trees for a different purpose. The tree care industry has expanded over the years to include areas of conservation, landscape maintenance and management issues as well.
- Identify Minnesota native woody plants by botanical/common names.
- Identify Minnesota natural plant communities.
- Select plant needs with proper site characteristics.
- Implement proper planting techniques.
- Implement proper tree care to potential clients.
- Identify common urban tree pests.
- Prescribe treatment for common urban tree pests.
- Design environmentally sound landscapes.
- Integrate a sustainable approach to landscape installation and maintenance.
- Prepare to take Minnesota Tree Inspector Certification Test.
- Prepare to take ISA Certified Arborist Test (Knowledge Portion).
- LNDC1110 Introduction to Landscape/Horticulture Careers 1
- LNDC1120 Woody Plants I Trees 4
- LNDC1131 Arboriculture I 3
- LNDC1135 Arboriculture II 2
- LNDC1151 Insects and Diseases of Landscape Plants 3
- LNDC1190 Woody Plants II Shrubs 4
- LNDC1220 Integrated Pest Management 2
- LNDC1242 Plant Biology 4
- LNDC1271 Soil Science 3
- LNDC1300 Minnesota Invasive Terrestrial Plants 2
- LNDC1305 Hazard Tree Identification and Risk Management 2
- LNDC1311 Ground Worker Operations 2
- LNDC1315 Minnesota Native Plants and Communities 4
- LNDC2241 Landscape Equipment Operation 3
- LNDC1141 Nursery Propagation and Production 3
- LNDC1160 Greenhouse Operation and Management 2
- LNDC1202 Herbaceous Plant Materials 4
- LNDC1231 Nursery Operations 2
- LNDC1235 Landscape Operations 2
- LNDC2150 Introduction to Basic Tree Climbing 2
- LNDC2155 Tree Climbing II Advanced Climbing Techniques and Methods 2
- LNDC2220 Turf Culture and Management 3
- LNDC2261 Professional Gardening 3
- LNDC2345 Arboriculture Internship 1-4
- Hennepin Technical College’s 2000-level general education courses meet the guidelines of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC).