STREET, UTILITY, AND PARK MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
- Program: Public Works
- Degree: Diploma
- Credits: Total Diploma Credits 32
- Academic Planning Guide:
Students completing this program will gain the basic skills necessary to work efficiently and safely in a variety of municipal, county and state positions, such as street, utility, and park maintenance.
There are a number of options to choose from in this field. According to the state labor statistics, employment outlook for positions in this field is expected to increase. Employees in this field can expect good pay & benefits, year round employment, and challenging outdoor work assignments.
- Identify the role of public works agencies in local government.
- Perform maintenance of surfaces and external grounds.
- Demonstrate basic computing skills.
- Identify role in a public safety emergency.
- Demonstrate the elements of teamwork.
- Demonstrate effective customer service techniques.
- Use effective oral and written communication skills.
- Identify health and safety hazards in accordance with OSHA and industry standards.
- Perform repairs to small engines, physical structures and their mechanical systems.
- Operate mechanized equipment in accordance with OSHA/industry standards.
- PWRK1001 Introduction to Public Works Employment 3
- PWRK1005 Introduction to Maintenance Operations and Activities 3
- PWRK1025 Street Maintenance, Materials and Applications 3
- PWRK1045 Practical Skills for Public Works 4
- PWRK1050 Introduction to Municipal Utilities 3
- PWRK1055 Public Works Safety 3
- PWRK1065 Introduction to Park Maintenance 3
- PWRK2000 Public Works Internship 3
- PWRK1020 Basic Engine Repair 3
- Any HTC college level general education course may be used to satisfy the elective 4 requirement, except for
- EMSV1020 CPR/First Aid.
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses