HEALTH SCIENCE (BROAD FIELD)
- Program: Biology
- Degree: Associate of Science
- Credits: Total Associate of Science Credits 60
- Academic Planning Guide:
This AS degree provides students a broad base of general education coursework relevant to the field of health sciences. Students who have chosen a career path or have not yet decided upon a specific course of study may elect to complete the foundational coursework in the health sciences coupled with a range of general education courses. The degree is designed to transfer to all MnSCU system universities offering related baccalaureate programs through a statewide articulation agreement. Students are encouraged to consult with both Hennepin Technical College and transfer university counselors/advisors early and often, for guidance and planning regarding the requirements of the various health sciences baccalaureate programs to facilitate the most efficient transition and transfer.
Obtaining a Health Science Broad Field degree at HTC opens the door to transfer opportunities in your program of study and others as well: Allied Health Biology; Athletic Training; Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation; Communication Disorders; Community Health; Corrections; Dietetics; Exercise Science; Foods and Nutrition; Health Education; Health, Exercise and Rehabilitative Services; Health Promotion; Health Science; Movement Sciences; Nursing (limited seats available on a competitive basis); Psychology; Social Work; and Therapeutic Recreation.
- Develop as writers and speakers who use the English language effectively and who read, write, speak and listen critically.
- Apply mathematical, scientific and logical modes of thinking.
- Develop the ability to use technology to improve and facilitate their learning.
- Explain processes of humans and other biological systems.
- Demonstrate safe, environmentally responsible procedures in varied situations.
- Expand their ability to identify, discuss and reflect upon social, ethical and behavioral issues.
- Extend their awareness of cultural, global and environmental topics.
- Science Core Courses
- BIOL2003 Nutrition and Health 3
- BIOL2005 General Biology I 4
- BIOL2125 Anatomy and Physiology I 4
- BIOL2225 Anatomy and Physiology II 4
- BIOL2235 Microbiology 4
- CHEM2000 Introduction to Chemistry 4
- CHEM2200 Essentials of General, Organic and Biochemistry 5
General Education Core Courses
- COMM2020 Intercultural Communication 3
- COMM2050 Interpersonal Communication 3
- ENGL2121 Writing and Research 4
- MATH2150 Introduction to Statistics 3
- MATH2200 College Algebra 4
- PHIL2200 Ethics 3
- PHIL2400 Medical Ethics 4
- PSYC2300 General Psychology 3
- PSYC2310 Psychology Throughout the Lifespan 3
- SOCI2100 Introduction to Sociology 3
- Choose one course from MnTC Goal Area 1 (Communication) 3
- Choose one course from MnTC Goal Area 6 (Humanities/Fine Arts) 3
- Technical Studies Courses may be used to satisfy elective credits OR Hennepin Technical College’s 2000-level general education courses meet the guidelines of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC).
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses