- Program: Child Development Careers
- Degree: Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Credits: Total Associate in Applied Science Degree Credits 60
- Academic Planning Guide:
This degree is designed to prepare individuals for employment in a variety of early child care and educational settings as teachers, family child care providers or nannies. Persons working in this profession provide a healthy, safe and developmentally appropriate environment in support of families. Students learn how to plan age appropriate activities which recognize the diversity of children and families. This degree expands the student`s knowledge of child development in areas of communication, writing and developmental skills. Many employers recognize the benefit from this extensive training and require the degree of the employees at the teacher level.
Job opportunities are available in child care centers, special needs programs, in home care (nanny), family child care, schoolage care, recreational and parent/child programs.
- Develop self-reflective habits as an early childhood professional.
- Implement developmentally appropriate curriculum and teaching practices.
- Apply developmental theories and practices.
- Implement assessment and curriculum cycle.
- Cultivate family and community relationships.
- Develop an environment that honors diversity.
- CDEV1105 Introduction to Early Childhood Careers 3
- CDEV1125 Guiding Children's Behavior 3
- CDEV1130 Learning Environment and Curriculum 4
- CDEV1160 Observation and Assessment 3
- CDEV1500 Child Growth and Development 3
- CDEV1530 Health, Safety and Nutrition 3
- CDEV1550 Curriculum Planning 3
- CDEV1725 Practicum I 3
- CDEV1750 Practicum II 3
- CDEV2000 Children with Differing Abilities 3
- CDEV2015 Organizational Leadership and Management 2
- CDEV2075 Working with Diverse Families and Children 3
- CDEV2125 Infant/Toddler Development and Learning 3
- CDEV2150 Language and Literacy 3
- CDEV2200 NOCTI Early Childhood Exam 0
- CDEV2230 Preschool Development and Learning 2
- CDEV2255 Schoolage Development and Learning 2
- CDEV2300 Multicultural Learning Experiences 2
- ENGL2121 Writing and Research 4
- Choose one course from MnTC Goal Area 2 3
- Choose two courses from MnTC Goal Area 5 6
- Choose one course from MnTC Goal Area 7 3
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses