- Applications for Fall 2017 are accepted beginning February 15.  The deadline to apply is April 1.  Applicants to the Law Enforcement Program will be notified by email of their admission status approximately 30 days after the application deadline date. 

How do I know if I am eligible to apply for the HTC's Law Enforcement Professional Licensing Program?

Before you start the application process, check to see if you meet the minimum admission standards. The admission standards can be found in the following LEEC brochure: LEEC Professional Licensing Program

When are applications for the Professional Licensing Program accepted?

Applications are accepted for students to begin the Professional Licensing Program each Fall and Spring semester. A student meeting the application criteria outlined in the LEEC brochure (or the Application Checklist) may apply if he/she is in the last semester of completing the prerequisite courses. If you are unsure whether the courses taken at another college meet the prequisities, contact HTC's Law Enforcement program before applying.

Where do I get an application for the Professional Licensing Program?

The first step of the application process is to apply to Hennepin Technical College online within the application deadlines and submit official college transcripts. (The Law Enforcement Certificate major will only be available on the HTC online application during the application date ranges.)  When you apply to HTC, you will be asked to activate your StarID.  You will use StarID to login to your eServices account, etc.  The next step is to submit a program application.  The Law Enforcement Program Application Packet consists of a Law Enforcement program application form, a Minimum Selection Standards Advisory Form, Criminal Conviction Advisory Form, and an Admission Preference Certification Form. Applications are available online only when applications are being accepted for a particular semester.  Applications for Fall semester are accepted February 15 to April 1.  Applications for Spring semester are accepted July 15 to September 1.   Please note:  application to the program does not guarantee placement.

Will I need to take the Accuplacer Placement Test?

Because Law Enforcement Program applicants must have completed 9 general education prerequisite courses in order to be eligible to apply to the program, the HTC Accuplacer Placement Test requirement will be waived when HTC receives your official college transcripts.

Can I substitute any prerequisite or Professional Licensing Program courses if I've taken a similar course at another school?

If you are a degree-seeking student from any of the five Minnesota State consortium colleges, you must obtain a waiver of requirement form from your home campus' registrar's office showing the substituted course(s). If you are a certificate student (non-degree seeking) you must have your transcripts reviewed by the PPOE Coordinator to determine if any of your previous coursework may be substituted for prerequisite and/or Professional Licensing Program courses.

Will HTC's Law Enforcement program accept experience in lieu of prerequisite or Professional Licensing Program courses?

It is possible to obtain credit for material mastered outside of the classroom by successfully completing examinations for certain degree requirement credits. This must be accomplished through your home college by following whatever process they have established. However, credit obtained through experience will not be granted for courses required in the Professional Licensing Program.

Do I need a conditional offer of employment from a police agency to gain admission to the Professional Licensing Program?

No. Preference for admission may be given to students who have submitted an Admission Preference Certification Form signed by a chief or sheriff. The qualifications and instructions for submitting that form are included with the Law Enforcement Program application packet.

Must I be working toward or obtain my degree to be eligible to apply for the Professional Licensing Program?

No. Students may work toward their law enforcement degree from any of the five consortium colleges (Century, Inver Hills, Minneapolis, Normandale, or North Hennepin). Certificate students, those who already possess an associate or bachelor's degree, no matter what their major, only need to insure they will have the prerequisite coursework completed before admission to the Professional Licensing Program.

Is Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) required to enter the Professional Licensing Program?

No, but it must be completed before HTC's Law Enforcement program can sign off for the POST licensing exam.  Certification does not have to be current.

What is proof of EMR certification?

Proof is Minnesota EMS Regulatory Board official certification.  This card can be an E-Card.  You can also provide official proof of EMT or Paramedic training.

How and when will I know if I have been accepted into the Professional Licensing Program?

We accept 96 students each semester. All applicants to the Professional Licensing Program will be notified of their admission status approximately 1 month after the application deadline.

How is it determined who receives acceptance into the Professional Licensing Program?

Applicants who complete the application materials by the prescribed deadline for each semester and and who meet admission criteria will be considered eligible for admission to the theory-based courses of the Professional Licensing Program.  If the number of eligible applicants exceeds the space available in the program, applicants meeting all admission requirements by the posted deadline(s) will be selected for admission in the order listed below.  A random selection process is used in each category.

a)  Applicants with admission preference certification from a chief law enforcement officer (police chief or sheriff) in Minnesota.  The order for selection within this category will begin with students from the consortium colleges. 
b)  Applicants who are AS Law Enforcement degree candidates from a consortium school. 
c)  Applicants who have already earned a degree prior to application. 
d)  Applicants who are enrolled in, but have not competed all prerequisite courses.  The order for selection within this category will begin with students from the consortium colleges.

How much is tuition?

Tuition rates for degree/prerequisite credits is the same as the general tuition. The tuition rate for the Professional Licensing Program is higher due to the added expense of providing specialized instruction, such as firearms training and simulation exercises. Students enrolling in the Law Enforcement Practicum (second semester) will also be required to pay a driving school fee in addition to tuition.

Are there any other expenses involved with attending the Professional Licensing Program?

Students enrolled in the academic, theory-based courses will be required to wear a class uniform (navy blue BDU pants, gray polo shirt, and navy blue sweatshirt). Students enrolled in the practical, skills-development courses will be required to purchase defensive tactics uniforms (sweat pants, gym shorts, T-shirt) utility belt and accessories, as well as the class uniform described above. Books, uniforms and equipment will cost approximately $900 over the two-semester program.

Other expenses include:  miscellaneous supplies, and the costs incurred for the medical and psychological evaluations, driving record, and a Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) background check.

Can I receive financial aid?

Student financial aid is available through the Hennepin Technical College Financial Aid Office. HTC's school code is 010491. For more information, call the Financial Aid Office at (763) 488-2500, or email:

Are scholarships available?

A scholarship is a type of aid that does not need to be repaid. Students may apply for scholarships to help with their cost of education. These scholarships are provided by the college or outside contributors to students based on criteria determined by the donor.

For students enrolling in the Professional Licensing Program, download our current Law Enforcement Scholarship informational Brochure: Law Enforcement Scholarships.

For more detailed information please refer to:

Other sources of scholarship information include the World Wide Web and public library.

Scholarship Search Engines
·  FastWeb
·  College Board Online Scholarship Search

Beware of scholarship scams!

How do I register for classes?

Students who have been admitted to the Professional Licensing Program will receive registration information after receiving their formal admission letter.

Will I be required to complete the HTC New Student Orientation?

Yes. Students who have been admitted into the Professional Licensing Program must complete the HTC New Student Online Orientation before registering for courses at HTC. 

How long does it take to complete the Professional Licensing Program?

For most degree seeking and certificate students the program will take two semesters. Students must take the five theory-based coursed in one semester.  Students must complete the six practical, skills-development courses in one semester. To help facilitate individual student schedules, the academic, theory-based courses are offered in a cohort model, morning (9:00-11:50 a.m.), afternoon (1:00-3:50 p.m.), and evening (5:00-7:50 p.m).  The Friday theory class is offered morning (10:00-11:50 a.m.), afternoon (2:00-3:50 p.m.), and evening (5:00-6:50 p.m.).  Students may indicate a preference for a cohort, but are not guaranteed placement. The practical, skills-development courses are also offered in a cohort model as well. Courses are offered in the morning (8:00 a.m.-12 Noon), evening (5:30-9:30 p.m.), and through an accelerated all day program (8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) for approximately ten weeks.

Are summer classes available in the Professional Licensing Program?

HTC does not offer summer courses in the Professional Licensing Program.

Can classes be taken through the Internet?

Some courses for your degree may be available on the Internet; however, HTC does not currently offer any of the Professional Licensing Program courses on the Internet.

What are HTC's Law Enforcement program office hours?

The office is open for business Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  The office is closed on official State holidays. Classes, however, often run from 8:00 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Is there parking available?

There is parking in the front of the LECJEC building.  All students are required to pay a parking fee if they park a vehicle on campus. The fee is $3.00 per credit, including sales tax and is added to the cost of tuition.

How do I apply for the Minnesota POST Board licensing examination?

The application process to take the Minnesota POST Board peace officer licensing examination is outlined in Minnesota Rules, 6700.0500. You are encouraged to visit the POST Board web site for additional information concerning their rules.

Does HTC offer any Minnesota POST Board licensing examination review classes?

Any information concerning Minnesota POST Board licensing examination review classes will be posted on the Law Enforcement home page.

How can I contact a consortium school?

Members of the consortium can be contacted at the following numbers:

Century College: 651-779-3300
Inver Hills Community College: 651-450-3000
Minneapolis Community and Technical College: 612-659-6000
Normandale Community College: 952-358-8200
North Hennepin Community College: 763-488-0391

Where is HTC's Law Enforcement Program located?

We are located at:  9110 Brooklyn Boulevard, Brooklyn Park, MN  55445-2410.  Map and directions.

What if I have something in my background that might prohibit me from becoming a police officer?

Please refer to the following POST Board requirements included on the Minimum Standards Advisory Form and Criminal Conviction Advisory Form. If you have further questions, please call the PPOE Coordinator at 763-657-3700.

What is the difference between a criminal justice studies degree and a law enforcement degree from HTC?

The Criminal Justice Studies Associate in Science Degree program prepares students for careers in the criminal justice field, such as corrections, law enforcement, probation and the courts. It offers a broader course of study than the Law Enforcement Associate in Science Degree program. For Criminal Justice Studies students interested in pursuing POST Board peace officer licensing, the prerequisites courses required for admittance to the Professional Licensing Program will have been completed while they earned their degree. The Professional Licensing Program courses taken at HTC's Law Enforcement program (theory-based courses and the practicum) are credits earned beyond their degree. The Law Enforcement Associate in Science Degree program is specifically intended to prepare students for law enforcement careers.

Who do I contact if I have more questions about the Professional Licensing Program?

Call HTC's Law Enforcement program at 763-657-3700 or

Does HTC offer Law Enforcement Continuing Education Courses for licensed police officers?

Yes, Call 763-657-3705 or visit the CTS Law Enforcement Program for more information.

For more information, about the Law Enforcement Continuing Education Courses, contact:
Debora Hanssen:  763-657-3707 or
Peggy Anderson: 763-657-3705 or

Last updated by ahaider : 2017-02-21 13:32:25