Skip to main content

Advising Frequently Asked Questions

Registration FAQ

What is my Student ID number and how can I look it up?

The student ID number is an eight digit number specific to HTC that may be found on your student ID card, transcript, schedule, fee statement, or you can look it up by following the directions below:

  • Access Hennepin Tech's homepage at
  • Click on Current Students on the top of the page, then choose eServices & Schedule
  • Choose a campus, then Login to eServices with your StarID and Password
  • Your Student ID# should be visible on the top right side of the Student eServices page

Why doesn't my password work?

You must use your StarID to log into eServices. All current and most former Minnesota State system students have a StarID. You must activate your StarID before you can use it.

Once you change your password, you must remember it for future online transactions. If you lose or forget your password, go to for instructions.

I'm receiving a message that says there is a time conflict in my schedule. What does this mean?

You have registered for courses that conflict or overlap with each other. However, courses with a warning due to a conflict are registered courses. Please be sure to review your schedule closely and adjust accordingly.

I'm receiving a message that says "student must take or pass test or satisfy course pre-requisites". What does this mean?

Certain courses have prerequisites which are listed in the college catalog or course description. Also, some courses require a certain score on the placement test in order for a student to register. Students who have not met course prerequisites or appropriate placement test scores are responsible for requesting an authorization (override) from a counselor or instructor.

I'm receiving a message that says "student on hold". What does that mean and who should I talk to?

You have an outstanding obligation which must be resolved before you can register. You may view what type of hold is on your account: Login to eServices. Go to Courses & Registration on the left menu and select Registration Holds. Click on Check for Holds to access a list of who to contact if you need help regarding a hold on your account.

I'm receiving a message that says I have entered invalid credits. What does that mean?

You will get this message if you incorrectly enter variable credits. For example, variable credits must be entered as 0100 for a 1-credit course or 1100 for an 11-credit course.

I'm receiving a message that says only defined majors may register for this course. What does that mean?

Some courses are set up exclusively for certain majors. If you receive this message, you will not be allowed to register for that particular session. The class is reserved for the majors listed in the course notes. To view course notes, click on the course title when looking at the schedule.

How do I show proof that I'm enrolled at Hennepin Tech?

You should print your schedule. You can do this by following these steps:

  • Access the Hennepin Tech's homepage at
  • Go to e-Services & Schedule.
  • Choose your campus and enter your StarID & password. If you want your name to appear, click in the boxed labeled Display Name.
  • Click on Courses and Registration located on the left side of the screen, and then choose View/Modify Schedule. (You may change semesters, if necessary.)
  • Click on Print
  • Select Log Out located in the upper right side of the screen

I'm receiving a message that says Immunization required for registration. What does this mean?

This means according to our records we have not received your immunization record. You will need to complete an Immunization eForm and submit it to the OneStop Center. The Immunization eForm can be submitted online by following these steps:

  • Go to, or
  • Click on Current Students on Hennepin Tech's home page
  • Click on Resources & Services
  • Click on Student Forms located under Student Resources & Publications
  • Choose Immunization Verification eForm located under Registration Forms
  • Login with your StarID and Password and follow instructions to submit the eForm. OneStop Center will process the eForm as soon as possible. (Note: you must be a currently admitted student to submit the eForm.)

I'm receiving a message that says my window is closed. What does this mean? How can I look up my Registration Window?

You may have tried to register before or after your allowed date range to register online. Please check your registration window online by following these steps:

  • Click on Current Students from HTC's website (
  • Click on eServices & Schedule, choose your campus, and login to your eServices account using your StarID and Password
  • Click on Courses and Registration from the menu on the left
  • Click on Registration Window (The dates your registration window opens and closes for the currently selected semester will display)
  • If necessary, choose the correct semester from the drop-down menu, press the Submit

What does admission status required for registration mean?

It means that you may have not submitted an application, have not paid the application fee, or your application is not currently active. If you have previously applied but have not attended in the last year, you may need to complete a new application to reactivate your file.

If your question is not listed, please send an email to or call OneStop Center at 952-995-1300.

Transfer FAQ

What are the transfer Guidelines?
Courses approved for transfer must be comparable in nature, content, and level and match at least 75 percent of the content and goals of the course for which the student is seeking equivalent credit. Technical courses must have been completed within the past five years to be considered for transfer. (Students in health related careers should consult with the transfer specialist regarding specific program transfer requirements.) Transfer grades are not calculated in a student’s GPA.

Minnesota Transfer Curriculum guidelines will be used to categorize transferred General Education courses into one of ten MnTC goal areas. Credit for General Education coursework that does not fit into any goal area will not be granted.

Will my courses be considered for transfer?
Any college level course will be considered for transfer. Transfer students with prior coursework at another accredited college or university should provide transcripts for transfer evaluation. Official transcripts from a non-Minnesota State College or University must be provided in a sealed envelope to:

Hennepin Technical College
Attn: Transfer Center
13100 College View Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55347

or e-mailed via a safe script service to

What about college accreditation?
Transfer will not be denied solely on the source of accreditation of the sending institution. Additional documentation may be requested. As part of the course evaluation process you will be asked to provide course syllabus, course objectives and course descriptions.

Courses with a content match to the required Hennepin Technical College (HTC) course can be transferred and used to satisfy specific course requirements in an A.S. degree, A.A.S. degree, diploma, and/or certificate program.

Do I need a certain grade to transfer a course?
If a student's cumulative GPA at the sending institution is less than 2.0, D grades will not be accepted in transfer from that school. However, HTC accepts credits with grades of "D" earned as part of completion of the MnTC and/or as part of a degree awarded from a Minnesota State College or University. Those credits will count toward the total needed to graduate. However, certain majors do not allow the use of transfer courses with "D” grades as prerequisites. No F grades will be accepted in transfer.

How many credits can I transfer?
The number of credits transferred to Hennepin Technical College is dependent upon the specific requirements of each program or degree offered at HTC.

What response will I receive?
You will be notified by email when your evaluation is complete. The evaluation will be in the form of a DARS - Degree Audit which will reflect the applicability of transfer credits to the major you have selected.

After the initial evaluation, if you continue taking courses at a Minnesota State institution, you will need to fill out an e-transcript retrieval form after successful completion of the courses and submit it to the transfer center for evaluation.

What is a DARS Audit and how do I read a DARS Audit?
DARS is a computer generated degree progress report for students that lists the college requirements for the student and helps the students plan and monitor progress toward graduation. Students can obtain their Interactive Degree Audit (DARS) online. Resources for understanding your Audit - Click on this link: How to read a your Interacive Degree Audit.
If you have further questions you can contact the Transfer Center by calling 952-995-1455 or e-mail

What about Military Transfers?
The Veterans Education Transfer System is an online application that helps past, present and future servicemen and servicewomen determine how their military training can count for credit at Minnesota State. Additional Military transfer information can be found at Military Transfer.

What is Transferology?
Transferology is a nation-wide network designed to help you answer the question "Will my courses transfer?" You may enter coursework, exams, and/or military learning experiences, then discover how many schools in the Transferology network have matching courses that may be awarded when you transfer. One feature in Transferology is the ability to import the courses you have taken at a Minnesota State to monitor your progress toward a selected degree, certificate or MnTC program at other Minnesota State College. You can also use transferology to inform schools of your interest in transferring by asking about specific programs, campus visits, and/or coursework that has not yet been evaluated by the school.

What if I have transcripts from a foreign country?

Foreign/International Credentials/Transcripts -
Have your college level courses completed in another country evaluated by one of the evaluation services listed below: Please be sure it is a course-by-course evaluation. Student will be asked to provide detailed information about the goals and objectives of the evaluated transfer courses. The current HTC transfer policy will be used to determine course transfer.

Transcript Evaluation Services

World Education Services, Inc.
PO Box 5087, Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: 212-966-6311 Fax: 212-739-6100
email: info@wes.org

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc
PO Box 51407, Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Phone: 414-289-3400 Fax: 414-289-3400

Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
PO Box 9203, College Station, TX 77842-9203
Phone: 800-707-0979 Fax: (512-388-3174
email: or

How do I appeal a transfer decision?
You have the right to a clear, understandable statement of an institution’s transfer policy, (within this document) a fair credit review, an explanation of why courses did not transfer, and a copy of the formal appeals process which is stated below.

If you wish to appeal a transfer decision.
Fill out the transfer appeal form. Submit the completed form to the Registration Office. After the appeal has been reviewed you will receive a written response.

If you have received an unsatisfactory response from the college you may appeal the college’s transfer appeal decision through the Minnesota State Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs. For more information see Procedure 3.21.1- Subpart B - System level appeal. You may find details regarding the system-level appeal on this page

Transfer Rights and Responsibilities Policy 3.39

Tuition FAQ

Who sets the rates charged for tuition?

Hennepin Technical College is a member institution of the Minnesota State College and Universities (Mn State) System. As such, approximately 70 percent of the cost of education is funded through state appropriation of tax dollars. The remaining 30 percent is covered by tuition and fee revenue. The college, in consultation with students, establishes tuition and fee rates for each academic year and the Mn State Board of Trustees approves these rates.

What do the fees pay for?

Fee Descriptions:

Application Fee
As of March 19, 2018, Hennepin Technical College will begin charging a $20 application fee.

Student Life Fee/Student Association Fee
Each student pays a student life fee of $3.90 per credit, up to a maximum of $50.70 per semester as established by the Student Senate. This fee supports the activities of the Student Senate and the Student Life Board. Each student also currently pays a state student association fee of $0.35 per credit. This fee is authorized by MN statute and set each year by the association.

Parking Fee
All students are required to pay a parking fee if they park a vehicle on campus. The fee is $3.00 per credit, including sales tax, up to a maximum of $45.00 per semester. Students taking CEU courses pay $3.00 per CEU.

Technology Fee
Each student registered for credit courses will be assessed a technology fee of $9.00 per credit each semester. This fee supports student technology needs in all areas of the college, including hardware and staff resources to assist students. The following are specific projects that have been identified to be funded by the technology fee in the 2016-2017 academic year:
High-density wireless access
-Double the number of wireless access points on both campuses
-Increase wireless speeds from 100Mbps to 1Gbps

Health Services Fee
Each student registered for credit courses will be assessed a health services fee of $1.00 per credit each semester, up to a maximum of $13.00 per semester. This fee supports health programming, such as programs offered to students on health issues and referral resources. Also health insurance navigation and education from MnSURE, as well as questions about the Affordable Care Act.

Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) Check Fees
There will be a $20 service charge for all checks returned for non-sufficient funds or other reasons.

Other Fees/Late Fees
Other fees may be charged during the school year. A $50.00 late fee will be charged to overdue accounts.

Books, Tools and Other Costs
The college furnishes modern, up-to-date equipment in its lab areas. Materials to work on projects may also be provided. Students must purchase books, personal tools, other supplies and special clothing if required.

I am done registering. How much do I owe?

View or Print Student Account

Can I mail or fax in a credit card number?

The college discourages mailing or faxing in credit card payments. The college cannot guarantee the privacy of credit card information provided by mail or fax.

Can I pay online using a checking or savings account?

Online payments can be made directly from a checking or savings account.Pay Online.

Is paying online safe?

The online payment system developers went to great lengths to protect personal information provided by its customers. All components of the process use only secure connections. The complete process, from request to actual posting of the payment is encrypted. Additionally, no personal information is stored on the system. It is only passed through to the processor for verification. The complete process has been reviewed by security experts and deemed to be secure.

How can I check to see if my online payment posted to my account?

View Online Payment

What happens if I don’t pay today?

It is the college's policy to cancel courses for non-payment of tuition. For more information see the college's Tuition Payment Policy.

Can I make a Partial Payment?

Partial payment of tuition and fees will not prevent your courses from being canceled. In addition, you may be subject to a $50.00 late fee and a registration hold.

Graduation FAQ

How do I know when I am ready to graduate?
You should meet with your program faculty advisor or a counselor to go over your transcript and DARS audit to see if you have met all the graduation requirements.

  1. If so, you should submit an Application for Award eForm according to the directions on the form.
  2. Your faculty advisor needs to digitally sign-off on this form indicating that they have reviewed the award requirements and whether you are on track to complete them.
  3. Once your faculty advisor has digitally signed and submitted the form, the Assistant Registrar will finalize the application review.
  4. An automated email communication will be sent to you regarding program completion readiness and next steps.

If I forgot whether I submitted my Application for Award form, what should I do?

Stop at the OneStop Center and ask them to check your records.

When will I receive my degree, diploma, or certificate?

At the graduation ceremony, you will get a diploma cover, not your actual degree, diploma or certificate. If you have met all eligibility requirements and submitted an Application for Award form, your degree, diploma, or certificate will be mailed to you approximately 12 weeks after the conclusion of the semester.

Do I need to sign up to attend the ceremony?

No. Just make sure you submit your Application for Award eForm and pay the $10 commencement fee. (You may pay this fee in eServices>Bills & Payment.) Watch your email account to see that your Application for Award is approved. After that, all you have to do is show up at the designated graduate arrival time (posted online at on Commencement Day and you will be provided a cap, gown and tassel.

Does it cost anything to participate in the graduation ceremony?

There is a $10 fee to participate in the commencement ceremony. Your student fees are paying for a portion of the ceremony to keep this cost low for you.

What if I changed my mind and I NO LONGER want to participate in the commencement ceremony even though I checked “YES” on my Application for Award form?

The $10 fee is non-refundable, and the charge will remain on your account even if you decide not to attend the ceremony.

What if I changed my mind and I DO want to participate in the commencement ceremony, even though I checked “NO” on my Application for Award form?

Please email HTC's Assistant Registrar to inform her that you have already turned in your Application for Award eForm, but changed your mind about attending the ceremony. The $10 ceremony fee will be added to your account and you will be able to participate in the ceremony. (You may pay the fee online through eServices.)

How do I ensure that my name will be printed in the graduation program?

In order to have your name printed in the graduation program, you must submit your Application for Award eForm by the posted deadline date shown on the Graduation Checklist, and you must meet all graduation eligibility requirements.

Will my name be printed in the program even if I don't plan to walk in the commencement ceremony?

Yes. All students who were approved to graduate by the deadline date noted on the Graduation Checklist, will be listed in the program that is given out at the ceremony. If there are any programs left after the ceremony, they will be available at the Reception Desk on each campus the week after commencement.

Do my guests need tickets?

Tickets are not needed. You may invite as many guests as you want however, seating is based on a first come, first served basis. Saving seats is not permitted, if your guests would like to sit together they should all plan to arrive at the same time. There will be an area outside the auditorium to listen to the commencement in the event that all seats fill.

When do I get my cap, gown, tassel, honors medal, stole, cords, etc.?

All graduation apparel will be given out at the ceremony and is not available earlier.

I am large, short, pregnant, person in a wheelchair, etc. How do I know that a gown will fit me?

A vendor will be at the ceremony giving out caps and gowns. They will be equipped with many petite to XXXL sizes, as well as some larger caps. There will be a cap and gown for you.

I have a Bachelor’s/Master’s/Doctoral degree already and am receiving a certificate here at Hennepin Tech. Can I wear my regalia from my higher degree because it is a lot fancier?

No, you are being celebrated for the successful completion of this particular academic reward, in this case, a certificate. You will be with your classmates gowned alike for the reception of this certificate. You only wear your highest degree as a faculty/staff member in a commencement, university inaugural, or convocation.

What if I am graduating with honors?

If you are graduating with honors (overall/cumulative 3.5 GPA and above), you will receive an honors medallion when you check in on graduation day at the ceremony location. Overall GPA is calculated using all the courses you have taken through the end of fall term. Current semester grades cannot be included in the calculation since grades are not received by graduation day. Honor medallions are not given out for program GPA, only for overall/cumulative GPA. If you do not know your overall/cumulative GPA, please check your eServices.

What if I am a Phi Theta Kappa member?

If you are a Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) member who continues to meet the GPA requirement for membership, you will also receive your PTK stole when you check in on graduation day at the ceremony location. If you have questions please contact the PTK Advisor.

What if I am a veteran?

If you are indicated as a Veteran in your student record you will be given Veteran's cords when you check in at the ceremony. If you have questions please contact the HTC Veterans School Certifying Official.

What if I am in TRIO?

If you are in the TRIO ESL/SSS Program you will receive a stole when you check in at the ceremony. If you have questions please contact TRIO.

I want an extra tassel, gown, cap, etc. for mom, dad, dog, etc. Can I have extra?

No, we want to make sure every graduate has their one cap, gown, tassel. No extras will be available.

If I am earning more than one certificate, diploma, or degree will I receive multiple certificate covers?

No, we want to make sure every graduate receives a certificate cover. No extras will be available.

Where can my family and friends celebrate after the ceremony?

Here is a list of restaurant options close to the Convention Center. Keep in mind this is not an exhaustive list. You will need to contact the restaurant to make sure it meets the needs of your party and to make reservations.

How long is the ceremony? Can I leave once I've walked?

We expect the ceremony to last approximately 2 hours. Out of respect for other graduates we ask that you and your guests remain seated for the entirety of the ceremony.

Law Enforcement FAQ 

The current application process and deadlines are posted here: Law Enforcement Application Checklist

How do I know if I am eligible to apply for Hennepin Tech's Law Enforcement Professional Peace Officer Licensing Program?

Before you start the application process, check to see if you meet the minimum admission standards. The admission standards can be found in the following Minimum Selection Standards Advisory form and Hennepin Tech's Professional Peace Officer Education (PPOE) Program brochure.

When are applications for the Professional Peace Officer Education Program accepted?

Applications are accepted for students to begin the Professional Peace Officer Education Program each Fall and Spring semester. A student meeting the application criteria outlined in Hennepin Tech's Professional Peace Officer Education (PPOE) Program brochure (or the Application Checklist) may apply if he/she is in the last semester of completing the prerequisite courses.

If you are unsure whether the courses taken at another college meet the prerequisites, contact Hennepin Tech's Law Enforcement program before applying. 

Where do I get an application for the Professional Peace Officer Education Program?

The first step of the application process is to apply to Hennepin Technical College online within the application deadlines and submit official college transcripts. (The Law Enforcement Certificate major will only be available on the Hennepin Tech online application during the application date ranges.)

When you apply to Hennepin Tech, you may be asked to activate your StarID. You will use StarID to login to your eServices account, etc.

The next step is to submit a program application. The Law Enforcement Program Application Packet consists of a Law Enforcement program application form, a Minimum Selection Standards Advisory Form, Criminal Conviction Advisory Form, and an Admission Preference Certification Form.

Applications are available online only when applications are being accepted for a particular semester.

  • Applications for Fall semester are accepted February 15 to May 1.
  • Applications for Spring semester are accepted July 15 to November 1.

Please note: application to the program does not guarantee placement.

Will I need to take a fitness test?

Yes. The Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Board now requires a fitness test. All Hennepin Tech students are required to pass a physical fitness test during the skills component. Testing will be conducted on the Concept2 Rower at the 50 percentile according to a person's age, gender and weight. Applicants must row 2000 meters, scoring at or above the minimum 50 percentile on their test in order to pass the fitness test at Hennepin Technical College. The 2000 meter test takes place at the level 5 or damper setting 5 on the flywheel. Click on this link from the MN State Patrol and enter your age, gender and weight to view requirements.

Will I need to take the Accuplacer Placement Test?

Because Law Enforcement Program applicants must have completed 9 general education prerequisite courses in order to be eligible to apply to the program, the Hennepin Tech Accuplacer Placement Test requirement will be waived when Hennepin Tech receives your official college transcripts.

Can I substitute any prerequisite or Professional Licensing Program courses if I've taken a similar course at another school?

If you are a degree-seeking student from any of the five Minnesota State consortium colleges, you must obtain a waiver of requirement form from your home campus' registrar's office showing the substituted course(s). If you are a certificate student (non-degree seeking) you must have your transcripts reviewed by the PPOE Coordinator to determine if any of your previous coursework may be substituted for prerequisite and/or Professional Licensing Program courses.

Will Hennepin Tech's Law Enforcement program accept experience in lieu of prerequisite or Professional Peace Officer Education Program courses?

It is possible to obtain credit for material mastered outside of the classroom by successfully completing examinations for certain degree requirement credits. This must be accomplished through your home college by following whatever process they have established. However, credit obtained through experience will not be granted for courses required in the Professional Peace Officer Education Program.

Do I need a conditional offer of employment from a police agency to gain admission to the Professional Peace Officer Education Program?

No. Preference for admission may be given to students who have submitted an Admission Preference Certification Form signed by a chief or sheriff. The qualifications and instructions for submitting that form are included with the Law Enforcement Program application packet.

Must I be working toward or obtain my degree to be eligible to apply for the Professional Peace Officer Education Program?

No. Students may work toward their law enforcement degree from any of the five consortium colleges (Century, Inver Hills, Minneapolis, Normandale, or North Hennepin). Certificate students, those who already possess an associate or bachelor's degree, no matter what their major, only need to insure they will have the prerequisite coursework completed before admission to the Professional Peace Officer Education Program.

Is Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) required to enter the Professional Peace Officer Education Program?

No, it is not a requirement to enter the program, but proof of completion of an EMSRB approved EMR certification/class is required before the PPOE Coordinator can sign off for the POST Licensing exam. Certification does not have to be current.

What is proof of EMR completion?

Proof can be an official college transcript, or Minnesota EMS Regulatory Board official certification card or E-Card. You can also provide official proof of EMT or Paramedic training.

How and when will I know if I have been accepted into HTC's Professional Peace Officer Education Program?

We accept 96 students each semester. All applicants to the Professional Peace Officer Education (PPOE) Program will be notified of their admission status approximately 1 month after the application deadline.

How is it determined who receives acceptance into Hennepin Tech's Professional Peace Officer Education Program?

Applicants who complete the application materials by the prescribed deadline for each semester and who meet admission criteria will be considered eligible for admission to the theory-based courses of the Professional Peace Officer Education Program. If the number of eligible applicants exceeds the space available in the program, applicants meeting all admission requirements by the posted deadline(s) will be selected for admission in the order listed below. A random selection process is used in each category.

  1. Applicants with admission preference certification from a chief law enforcement officer (police chief or sheriff) in Minnesota. The order for selection within this category will begin with students from the consortium colleges.
  2. Applicants who are AS Law Enforcement degree candidates from a consortium school.
  3. Applicants who have already earned a degree prior to application.
  4. Applicants who are enrolled in, but have not competed all prerequisite courses. The order for selection within this category will begin with students from the consortium colleges.

How much is tuition?

Tuition rates for degree/prerequisite credits is the same as the general tuition. The tuition rate for the Professional Peace Officer Education Program is higher due to the added expense of providing specialized instruction, such as firearms training and simulation exercises. Students enrolling in the practical, skills-development classes (second semester) will also be required to pay a driving school fee in addition to tuition.

Are there any other expenses involved with attending the Professional Peace Officer Education Program?

Students enrolled in the academic, theory-based courses will be required to wear a class uniform (navy blue BDU pants, gray polo shirt, and navy blue sweatshirt). Students enrolled in the practical, skills-development courses will be required to purchase defensive tactics uniforms (sweat pants, gym shorts, T-shirt) utility belt and accessories, as well as the class uniform described above. Books, uniforms and equipment will cost approximately $900 over the two-semester program.

Other expenses include: miscellaneous supplies, and the costs incurred for the medical and psychological evaluations, driving record, and a Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) background check.

Can I receive financial aid?

Student financial aid is available through the Hennepin Technical College Financial Aid Office. Hennepin Tech's school code is 010491. For more information, call the Financial Aid Office at (763) 488-2500, or email:

Are scholarships available?

A scholarship is a type of aid that does not need to be repaid. Students may apply for scholarships to help with their cost of education. These scholarships are provided by the college or outside contributors to students based on criteria determined by the donor.

For students enrolling in the Professional Licensing Program, download our current Law Enforcement Scholarship informational Brochure: Law Enforcement Scholarships.

For more detailed information please refer to:

Other sources of scholarship information include the World Wide Web and public library.

Scholarship Search Engines

Beware of scholarship scams!

How do I register for classes?

Students who have been admitted to the Professional Peace Officer Education Program will receive registration information after receiving their formal program admission letter.

Will I be required to complete the Hennepin Tech New Student Orientation?

Yes. Students who have been admitted into the Professional Peace Officer Education Program must complete the New Student Online Orientation before registering for courses at Hennepin Tech.

How long does it take to complete the Professional Peace Officer Education Program?

For most degree seeking and certificate students the program will take two semesters. Students must take the five theory-based coursed in one semester. Students must complete the six practical, skills-development courses in one semester.

To help facilitate individual student schedules, the academic, theory-based courses are offered in a cohort model, morning (9:00-11:50 a.m.), afternoon (1:00-3:50 p.m.), and evening (5:00-7:50 p.m). Students may indicate a preference for a cohort, but are not guaranteed placement.

The practical, skills-development courses are also offered in a cohort model as well. Courses are offered in the morning (8:00 -11:50 a.m.), afternoon (1:00 -4:50 p.m.), and evening (5:30-9:30 p.m.). Theory cohort placement (morning, afternoon, or evening) determines skills cohort placement.

Are summer classes available in the Professional Peace Officer Education Program?

Hennepin Tech does not offer any classes of the Professional Peace Officer Education Program in the summer.

Can classes be taken through the Internet?

Some courses for your degree may be available on the Internet; however, Hennepin Tech does not currently offer any of the Professional Peace Officer Education Program courses on the Internet.

What are Hennepin Tech's Law Enforcement program office hours?

The office is open for business Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The office is closed on official State holidays. Classes, however, often run from 8:00 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Is there parking available?

There is parking in the front of the Public Safety & Police Science Center building. All students are required to pay a parking fee if they park a vehicle on campus. The fee is $3.00 per credit, and is added to the cost of tuition.

How do I apply for the Minnesota POST Board licensing examination?

The application process to take the Minnesota POST Board peace officer licensing examination is outlined in Minnesota Rules, 6700.0500. You are encouraged to visit the POST Board web site for additional information concerning their rules.

Does Hennepin Tech offer any Minnesota POST Board licensing examination review classes?

Any information concerning Minnesota POST Board licensing examination review classes will be posted on the Law Enforcement home page.

How can I contact a consortium school?

Members of the consortium can be contacted at the following numbers:

  • Century College: 651-779-3300
  • Inver Hills Community College: 651-450-3000
  • Minneapolis Community and Technical College: 612-659-6000
  • Normandale Community College: 952-358-8200
  • North Hennepin Community College: 763-488-0391

Where is Hennepin Tech's Law Enforcement Program located?

We are located at: 9110 Brooklyn Boulevard, Brooklyn Park, MN 55445-2410.

PSPSC Map and directions.

What if I have something in my background that might prohibit me from becoming a police officer?

Please refer to the following POST Board requirements included on the Minimum Standards Advisory Form and Criminal Conviction Advisory Form. If you have further questions, please call the PPOE Coordinator at 763-657-3700.

What is the difference between a criminal justice studies degree and a law enforcement degree from Hennepin Tech?

The Criminal Justice Studies Associate in Science Degree program prepares students for careers in the criminal justice field, such as corrections, law enforcement, probation and the courts. It offers a broader course of study than the Law Enforcement Associate in Science Degree program. For Criminal Justice Studies students interested in pursuing POST Board peace officer licensing, the prerequisites courses required for admittance to the Professional Licensing Program will have been completed while they earned their degree. The Professional Peace Officer Education Program courses taken at Hennepin Tech's Law Enforcement program (theory-based courses and the practicum) are credits earned beyond their degree. The Law Enforcement Associate in Science Degree program is specifically intended to prepare students for law enforcement careers.

Who do I contact if I have more questions about the Professional Peace Officer Education Program?

Call Hennepin Tech's Law Enforcement program at 763-657-3700 or

Does Hennepin Tech offer Law Enforcement Continuing Education Courses for licensed peace officers?

Yes, Call 763-657-3707 or visit the CTS Law Enforcement Program for more information.

For more information, about the Law Enforcement Continuing Education Courses, contact:
Debora Hanssen: 763-657-3707 or
Peggy Anderson: 763-657-3705 or