Any veteran seeking to utilize their education benefits must submit an application to the VA. The VA determines eligibility for the benefits. The type of benefit you're eligible to receive determines what your pay is and how you get paid. The school does not determine eligibility for a benefit and school officials are not trained to give advice in which benefit is best for you.

The school's role is to report to the VA your enrollment information. This is called the Enrollment Certification. The VA requires schools to report enrollment separately for each course that begins or ends more than one calendar week after the start or end of the term. These courses, which are shorter than the length of the term, are called nonstandard terms.

Nonstandard terms affect the pay you will receive because benefits are paid from the first scheduled date of the class for the term in which you are enrolled. For this reason, the enrollment level reported to the VA for your benefit amount may be less than the enrollment reported on your school transcript.

Specific questions regarding your benefits, such as which one is best for you, should be directed to the VA.


Brooklyn Park Campus
Phone: 763-488-2489

Eden Prairie Campus
Phone: 763-488-2489

Education Benefits

  • Chapter 30  Montgomery GI Bill -Active Duty (MGIB)
  • Chapter 32 Veteran's Assistance Education Program (VEAP)
  • Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill - served on active duty on or after 9/11/01
  • Chapter 35 Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
  • Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR)
  • Chapter 1607 Reserves Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

How to Apply for Education Benefits

You must be admitted to the college and have a declared major.

  1. Go to VONAPP and electronically submit your Application for VA Benefits (or Change of Program or Place of Training).
  2. Submit a copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility letter to HTC's Certifying Official.
  3. If you received benefits at any prior schools, submit those official transcripts to HTC
  4. As soon as you are registered, email to complete Enrollment Certification.
  5. Email with any changes to your class schedule.
  6. Verify your enrollment monthly through WAVE or call 1-877-823-2378 (Chapter 33 exempt currently)

Last updated by ahalberg : 2015-03-11 10:59:10