Skip to main content

Transfer Center

Explore your transfer options here!

Transfer Credits to Hennepin Tech

Steps to Transfer Credits into Hennepin Tech

Any college level course will be considered for transfer.

  1. Complete the Get Started Steps or apply to Hennepin Tech. Be certain you have declared a major.

  2. Provide official transcripts from other colleges:

    • If the courses were taken at another Minnesota State system college or university, we may be able to retrieve your official eTranscript for you after you have applied to Hennepin Tech and declared a major

    • If the courses were taken at a college or university outside of the Minnesota State system, you must request your transcript from that school. Official transcripts from non-Minnesota State system schools may be mailed to:

      • Hennepin Technical College
        Attn: Transfer Center
        13100 College View Drive
        Eden Prairie, MN 55347

        Or, official transcripts from non-Minnesota State system colleges may be sent through a transcript ordering service to

  3. If you are a current Hennepin Tech student and are simultaneously taking a course at another Minnesota State system college or university that you would like to have Hennepin Tech review for transfer credits, please use the e-Transcript Retrieval Form to notify Hennepin Tech's Transfer Center that the course taken concurrently has been successfully completed.

  4. High School Articulation - Transfer of Minnesota High School Tech Prep College Credit to Hennepin Technical College. Students who enroll at Hennepin Tech may request to have minnesota High School Tech Prep College Credits, which aply to their major, entered on their Hennepin Tech college transcript.

    The students will have up to five years from the date the Minnesota High School Tech Prep College Credit course(s) was completed, with a grad of "B" or better, to formally request college credit for the articulated course(s). This agreement does not imply that other colleges or universities will accept this course for college credit.

  5. After your transcripts have been evaluated, you will receive an e-mail indicating that a Degree Audit is available for you to view through e-services.

Transfer from Hennepin Tech

Plan ahead, there are resources you can use to transfer your credits from Hennepin Tech to complete a 4 year degree.

  • Articulation Agreements - Articulation Agreements are formal agreements between Hennepin Tech and 4 year colleges or Universities which specifies that all or some credits from a particular diploma or degree will transfer toward a specific 4 year degree academic program. Or look at the articulation agreements listed on the individual Program webpage.
  • Transferology - A multi-state web-based database of course equivalencies and transfer information. It offers a degree planning option to view how your courses transfer to other participating Colleges and Universities.
  • Transfer Resources: Transfer Action Plan at website.

Things to consider when transferring:

  • Technical credit courses taken at Hennepin Technical College are intended to provide employment skills and in some cases will transfer to other colleges.
  • The number of credits that may be transferred is determined by the receiving institution

Check if your credits will transfer - Transferology

Check Transferology to see if your credits will transfer. Contact us at with questions.

What is Transferology?

It is a website that is easy and quick to use, and can answer your questions about whether a course will transfer or not. You can look at courses to take at another college/university to transfer back to Hennepin Tech, and see how courses you are taking at Hennepin Tech will transfer to other colleges/universities. Transferology can also give you information about transfer credits for exams and military courses.

It is used by many colleges and universities throughout the US, and is considered a nationwide network. It will help you explore your college transfer options.

How do you use Transferology?

There are video tutorials on the homepage of Transferology that show you how to use it and all of the functions it has. It is pretty quick and easy to learn and to use. Knowing how to use Transferology will help you because you will be able to look up transfer options on your own time, which means answers when you need them.

Is Transferology accurate?

Yes, it is accurate! Transferology updates regularly with the information that colleges and universities update on their systems. This means it is constantly updating as we making changes to our databases about transfer credits.

How do you read the results?

When you get the results of your search, you will see a link that says "expand all notes" to the right of your results. If you click on that, it will expand and show the explanation of what the results mean. In general, here is what the results mean:

If you see TRANT, it means that the course/exam you input has not been reviewed for transfer credits yet to see whether or not the course/exam transfers. To have a course reviewed for transfer credits, send a course syllabus or outline to the transfer specialists and they will work with faculty to have the course evaluated for transfer credits. If you need an exam evaluated for credits, contact the transfer specialists.

If you see a department abbreviation followed by t***, that generally means it transfers as a general elective and may also count towards the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum as a goal area. For example, if you took an English 1000 course and see a result such as this ENGL1000 > ENGLT***, it means that the English 1000 course you took is equivalent to a general elective course. Expand the results to see if it meets goal areas of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. If it does, the goal area(s) will be listed.

If you see a specific course listed, it means that the course you are transferring is a direct match to a course offered at the place you want to transfer the course to. For example, let's say you see this: ENGL1000 > ENGL1050. That means that the English 1000 course you took is equal to the English 1050 course at the college/university you want to transfer the course to.

How do I get to Transferology?

Visit the Transferology website.

Credit for Prior Learning

AP – Advanced Placement Exams

Advanced Placement (AP) classes can be an important part of a student's college preparation plan. Classes are offered in most high schools throughout Minnesota and offer rigorous course content in many areas. Through AP exams, you have the opportunity to earn credit or advanced standing at most of the nation's colleges and universities.

Hennepin Technical College awards credits for AP exams with scores of 3 or higher. You may contact AP CollegeBoard to request an official transcript. The request must be sent to Hennepin Technical College by mail.

CLEP – College Level Examination Program

The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) is a college board program that allows students to earn college credit by demonstrating their mastery of college-level material in introductory subjects. CLEP provides students of any age with the opportunity to demonstrate college-level achievement through a program of exams in undergraduate college courses. CLEP exams do not relate to a specifically designed college-level courses taught in high school. CLEP exams test mastery of college-level materials acquired in a variety of ways such as through general academic instruction, significant independent study, or extracurricular work.

Hennepin Technical College awards credits for CLEP exams with passing score per ACE recommendation. You may contact the CLEP CollegeBoard to request an official transcript. The request must be sent to Hennepin Technical College by mail.

IB – International Baccalaureate

The International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma program is an educational program taught in one of three languages - English, French, or Spanish. It's intended for students in their final two years of secondary school, often before entering university. The program, administered by the International Baccalaureate Organization, is one of the most widely recognized pre-university educational programs in the world.

Hennepin Technical College awards credits for IB exams with scores of 4 or higher. You may contact International Baccalaureate to request an official transcript. The request must be sent to Hennepin Technical College by mail.

Foreign/International Credentials/Transcripts

If you have completed college-level courses in another country and would like your foreign transcript reviewed for potential transfer credits, you must have your foreign transcript evaluated by one of the evaluation services listed below. Please be sure to request a course-by-course evaluation.

You must also provide course syllabi or outlines, translated to English, to have the courses considered for transfer credits. Please note that courses cannot be considered for transfer credits unless syllabi/outlines are provided.

Transcript Evaluation Services

Hennepin Technical College will accept evaluations from any active member of National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Some examples are listed below. See full list on the NACES website.

World Education Services, Inc.
PO Box 5087, Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: 212-966-6311
Fax: 212-739-6100

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc
PO Box 51407
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Phone: 414-289-3400
Fax: 414-289-3400

Articulated College Credit (ACC)

What is Articulated College Credit?
Information on participating high schools and courses that articulate to college credit can be found online. For a list of Hennepin Tech courses approved for articulation, please visit:

Students who enroll at Hennepin Tech may request to have earned ACC, which applies to their major, entered on their Hennepin Tech college transcript. Students have two to five years depending on the course agreement, with a grade of “B” or better, to formally request college credit for the articulated course(s).


  • Complete the Get Started steps. Be certain you have declared a major.
  • Submit the ACC certificate/record to the Transfer Center.
  • Enroll in a Hennepin Tech course. Establish a college transcript. Once the college transcript is established, the articulated course(s) may be added to the student’s transcript as a transfer course(s).

This agreement does not imply that other colleges or universities will accept the course(s) for college credit.

Contact the Transfer Center to receive more information about earning college credit for courses at Hennepin Tech.


Educational opportunities exist to further your military career or prepare for a civilian career, whether you are active duty or retired, stateside, or abroad. You may be eligible to receive credit for your military training and prior learning experiences that have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE). College credit for prior military training and experience may be awarded. The standards of the American Council on Education or equivalent standards and current Hennepin Tech transfer policy will be used to determine course transfer.

The Veterans Education Transfer System is an online application that helps past, present and future servicemen and servicewomen determine how their military training can count for credit at MN State colleges and universities. Additional Military transfer information can be found at Military Transfer. To order your Military Transcript click here.


The DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) program is an extensive series of examinations in college subjects that are comparable to the final or end-of-course examinations in undergraduate courses. ACE recommends three semester hours of credit per test. DANTES funds DSST testing for eligible service members and personnel at DANTES military test centers. The DSSTs are now also available for use by civilians at universities and colleges throughout the country. To see a list of the DSSTs go to the Get College Credit website.

Credit for Life/Work Experience

Competency-based education allows students to present nontraditional learning as competencies to be evaluated for credit by qualified faculty members toward their educational program. These competencies must be the equivalent of what would have been learned through college coursework.

Test Out Procedure

After being admitted to the college, it may be possible to earn credit for courses offered at Hennepin Tech by successful completion of an exam in the form of a written test, an oral examination, or other demonstration of competency. Test-out may not be utilized to obtain credit for a course in which the student is currently enrolled or has previously been enrolled in. Students are not permitted to test more than once for any course. A grade of "C" or better, as determined by the evaluator, is required for credit.

  • Test out credits are counted as resident credits
  • Test out grades are not calculated in a student's GPA
  • A fee will be charged for each credit attempted
  • Information and forms for the test out process are available at the Onestop Center
  • Test out must be completed within 60 days of paying for the test out

Residency Requirements

To be eligible for an A.S. degree or A.A.S. degree, 20 of the credits must be earned at Hennepin Technical College. To be eligible for or a diploma or certificate, a student must earn one-third of the credit requirements at Hennepin Technical College.

Lady on laptop. Will my courses transfer? Add some courses and get results! Get started. Transferology logo

Contact Information

Hennepin Technical College
Transfer Center
13100 College View Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55347