Skip to main content

Transfer Frequently Asked Questions

What are the transfer Guidelines?
Courses approved for transfer must be comparable in nature, content, and level and match at least 75 percent of the content and goals of the course for which the student is seeking equivalent credit.  Technical courses must have been completed within the past five years to be considered for transfer.  (Students in health related careers should consult with the transfer specialist regarding specific program transfer requirements.)  Transfer grades are not calculated in a student’s GPA.

Minnesota Transfer Curriculum guidelines will be used to categorize transferred General Education courses into one of ten MnTC goal areas.  Credit for General Education coursework that does not fit into any goal area will not be granted.

Will my courses be considered for transfer?
Any college level course will be considered for transfer. Transfer students with prior coursework at another accredited college or university should provide transcripts for transfer evaluation. Official transcripts from non-Minnesota State College or University must be provided. Please note that transcripts are considered official only if A) they are sent directly to Hennepin Technical College from the college/university; B) are sent directly from a transcript ordering service to Hennepin Technical College; OR C) the transcript comes from you in an envelope that was sealed and stamped by the college/university. The seal cannot be broken and the envelope has to remain unopened for the transcript to be considered official. Please have transcripts sent to:

Hennepin Technical College
Attn: Transfer Center
13100 College View Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55347

or sent via an online transcript ordering service to

What about college accreditation?
Transfer will not be denied solely on the source of accreditation of the sending institution. Additional documentation may be requested.  As part of the course evaluation process you will be asked to provide course syllabus, course objectives and course descriptions.

Courses with a content match to the required Hennepin Technical College (HTC) course can be transferred and used to satisfy specific course requirements in an A.S. degree, A.A.S. degree, diploma, and/or certificate program.

Do I need a certain grade to transfer a course? 
If a student's cumulative GPA at the sending institution is less than 2.0, D grades will not be accepted in transfer from that school. However, HTC accepts credits with grades of "D" earned as part of completion of the MnTC and/or as part of a degree awarded from a Minnesota State College or University. Those credits will count toward the total needed to graduate.  However, certain majors do not allow the use of transfer courses with "D” grades as prerequisites. No F grades will be accepted in transfer.

 How many credits can I transfer? 
The number of credits transferred to Hennepin Technical College is dependent upon the specific requirements of each program or degree offered at HTC.

What response will I receive? 
You will be notified by email when your evaluation is complete.  The evaluation will be in the form of a DARS - Degree Audit which will reflect the applicability of transfer credits to the major you have selected.

After the initial evaluation, if you continue taking courses at a Minnesota State institution, you will need to fill out an e-transcript retrieval form after successful completion of the courses and submit it to the transfer center for evaluation.

What is a DARS Audit and how do I read a DARS Audit?
DARS is a computer generated degree progress report for students that lists the college requirements for the student and helps the students plan and monitor progress toward graduation.  Students can obtain their Interactive Degree Audit (DARS) online.  Resources for understanding your Audit - Click on this link: How to read your Interactive Degree Audit. 
If you have further questions you can contact the Transfer Center by calling 952-995-1659 or e-mail

What about Military Transfers?
The Veterans Education Transfer System is an online application that helps past, present and future servicemen and servicewomen determine how their military training can count for credit at Minnesota State.  Additional Military transfer information can be found at Military Transfer.

What is Transferology?
Transferology is a nation-wide network designed to help you answer the question "Will my courses transfer?"  You may enter coursework, exams, and/or military learning experiences, then discover how many schools in the Transferology network have matching courses that may be awarded when you transfer. One feature in Transferology is the ability to import the courses you have taken at a Minnesota State to monitor your progress toward a selected degree, certificate or MnTC program at other Minnesota State College. You can also use Transferology to inform schools of your interest in transferring by asking about specific programs, campus visits, and/or coursework that has not yet been evaluated by the school.

What if I have transcripts from a foreign country?

Foreign/International Credentials/Transcripts -
If you have completed college-level courses in another country and would like your foreign transcript reviewed for potential transfer credits, you must have your foreign transcript evaluated by one of the evaluation services listed below. Please be sure to request a course-by-course evaluation.

You must also provide course syllabi or outlines, translated to English, to have the courses considered for transfer credits. Please note that courses cannot be considered for transfer credits unless syllabi/outlines are provided. You might be asked to provide additional detailed information about the goals and objectives of the evaluated transfer courses.

Transcript Evaluation Services

World Education Services, Inc.              
PO Box 5087, Bowling Green Station                              
New York, NY  10274-5087                       
Phone: 212-966-6311    Fax: 212-739-6100                                    

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc
PO Box 51407,  Milwaukee, WI  53203-3470
Phone: 414-289-3400  Fax: 414-289-3400

Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
PO Box 9203, College Station, TX  77842-9203
Phone:  800-707-0979  Fax:  (512-388-3174
email: or

How do I appeal a transfer decision?
You have the right to a clear, understandable statement of an institution’s transfer policy, (within this document) a fair credit review, an explanation of why courses did not transfer, and a copy of the formal appeals process which is stated below.

If you wish to appeal a transfer decision.
Fill out the transfer appeal form. Submit the completed form to the Registration Office. After the appeal has been reviewed you will receive a written response.

If you have received an unsatisfactory response from the college you may appeal the college’s transfer appeal decision through the Minnesota State Senior Vice Chancellor of  Academic and Student Affairs.  For more information see Procedure 3.21.1- Subpart B - System level appeal.  You may find details regarding the system-level appeal on this page

Transfer Rights and Responsibilities Policy 3.39