Skip to main content

Veterans Services

Any veteran seeking to utilize their education benefits must submit an application to the VA. The VA determines eligibility for the benefits. The type of benefit you're eligible to receive determines what your pay is and how you get paid. The school does not determine eligibility for a benefit and school officials are not trained to give advice in which benefit is best for you.

The school's role is to report to the VA your enrollment information. This is called the Enrollment Certification. The VA requires schools to report enrollment separately for each course that begins or ends more than one calendar week after the start or end of the term. These courses, which are shorter than the length of the term, are called nonstandard terms.

Nonstandard terms affect the pay you will receive because benefits are paid from the first scheduled date of the class for the term in which you are enrolled. For this reason, the enrollment level reported to the VA for your benefit amount may be less than the enrollment reported on your school transcript.

Specific questions regarding your benefits, such as which one is best for you, should be directed to the VA.

VA Certifying Official

Brooklyn Park and Eden Prairie Campus
Phone: 763-488-2489

Education Benefits

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill®- Active Duty (MGIB)
  • Chapter 31 Voc Rehab
  • Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill - served on active duty on or after 9/11/01
  • Chapter 35 Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
  • Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

VocRehab & Tuition Assistance

  • If you have VocRehab (Chapter 31) funding, submit your signed authorization (VA Form 28-1905) to the School Certifying Official.
  • If you have Tuition Assistance through the Guard or Reserves, you need to submit your paperwork to Hennepin Tech's Third Party Coordinator at:

Hennepin Technical College
Attn: Third Party Coordinator
9000 Brooklyn Blvd
Brooklyn Park, MN 55445

Phone: 763-488-2517
Fax: 763-488-2952

Activation Procedures

If you get called to active duty in the middle of a semester, you must present your order to active duty and complete the Hennepin Tech add/drop form. Your registration will then be canceled and a full tuition refund will be processed.

Student Responsibilities

  • Submit the required forms to the VA Office and/or the school
  • Notify the Certifying Official when you register and/or make changes to your class schedule each semester
  • Stop by the Tuition Office for information regarding charging required books and supplies at the college Bookstore
  • Inform the Certifying Official if you decide to change your major
  • Verify your enrollment monthly with the VA (Chapter 33 exempt currently)

Useful Websites

Department of Veterans Affairs, St Louis, MO:

Hennepin Tech has a Veterans Resource Center on each campus for student veterans to use, see the Veteran Resource Centers website for more information. Each center also hosts a Veterans Student Organization at each campus.

Veteran's Resource Center Veterans Student Organization Financial Aid Page