Skip to main content

Admission Requirements

Hennepin Technical College accepts International student applications for FALL semester attendance (Aug-Dec) and SPRING semester attendance (Jan-May) only. See application deadlines below.

What is an International Student?

In general, an International student at Hennepin Technical College is a non-immigrant visitor who comes to the U.S. temporarily to take classes, does not have U.S. citizenship or legal permanent resident status (a"green card"), and applies for an F1 academic student visa to be allowed entry into the U.S. The citizenship data entered on the Hennepin Tech eApplication determines whether you are considered an International student and what type.

Important Notes: International applicants who are NOT seeking admission as an F1 Nonimmigrant Academic Student (such as H1, H3, H4, J1, K1, or R1 visa holders) may qualify to study at Hennepin Tech. See details below for requirements. Other visa types not listed will be reviewed.

U.S. permanent residents or dual nationals with U.S. citizenship and refugee visa holders are not considered International students.

According to Minnesota State Board Policies and Procedures, 3.4 Undergraduate Admissions, "International student means a student who is required to be registered under the federal Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)."

Online Application

The first step to becoming an International student at Hennepin Tech is to apply to the college within the posted semester deadline dates. All college applications for International students must be submitted online. A non-refundable $20 application fee will be charged to new undergraduate applicants, which is due prior to being admitted to the college.

Individuals who qualify as International applicants must indicate they are seeking or currently hold a visa when asked about their citizenship details on the college eApplication. Applicants must select the desired semester of attendance when applying to the college, and allow adequate time for submission of the additional application materials, as required, by the deadline date.

  • F1 Nonimmigrant Academic Student Visa Holders/Seekers:
    • Please review the application deadlines listed below and download the International Application Materials document for admission procedures and details about the additional application materials required in order to be accepted to the college as an F1 Nonimmigrant Academic Student visa holder or seeker**. Feel free to contact a Hennepin Technical College International Representative for more information.
  • Other Visa Types:
    • In lieu of the F1 application materials, applicants who are NOT seeking admission as an F1 Nonimmigrant Academic Student visa holder or seeker must submit a copy of their current visa to Hennepin Technical College before being admitted (see address below). You must include your Student Tech ID# that you received after you applied to the college online.
    • The following non-immigrant visa types qualify you to study at Hennepin Tech: H1, H3, H4, J1, K1 or R1. (You must submit a copy of your current visa by the semester application deadline dates below.)
    • If your visa type is not listed, or you wish to begin studying at HTC during a different semester, you may contact an Hennepin Tech International Representative with questions about how to proceed.

Begin the Online Application Process

Deadlines for F1 Applicants

After applying to the college, International application materials must be sent via postal mail to the Hennepin Tech International Admissions Office (address below) and received by the application deadline date of the semester for which the student is applying. Do Not Email the application materials to Hennepin Tech. Applicants must include their Hennepin Tech Student Tech ID# and their name to match with the college application. *Late or incomplete applications may not be considered.

  • New F1 International Students from outside the U.S.
  • Transfer F1 International Students from within the U.S.

Submit to:

Hennepin Technical College
International Admissions
9000 Brooklyn Boulevard
Brooklyn Park, MN 55445
The United States of America

The applicant's name and Hennepin Tech Student ID# must be provided when submitting the application materials. A copy of the application confirmation email received after applying to the college may be included to ensure accurate identification.

Canceled Applications

*After the semester deadline for receipt of application materials has passed, incomplete applications will be canceled. Prospective International students may reapply to Hennepin Tech for a subsequent semester if desired.

**Special Note for M-1 Students

If you are an M-1 student, you may not change to F or H status while you are in the United States. If you would like to attend Hennepin Technical College as an F-1 student, you will need to leave the United States, apply to a SEVP-certified school, and receive a new Form I-20. You will also need to apply for a new visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, if applicable.