HEATING, VENTILATION, AIR CONDITIONING, AND REFRIGERATION
- Program: Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
- Degree: Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Credits: Total Associate in Applied Science Degree Credits 72
- Academic Planning Guide:
Trained personnel are in critical short supply for the demands of the residential and commercial heating and air conditioning industry. With the increased need for energy efficient heating and cooling systems, new energy codes and exploding technology advancements, opportunities in the residential/commercial HVAC field are unlimited. The residential/commercial air conditioning, heating and refrigeration areas include working on heat/cool rooftop units, high-efficiency electronically controlled forced air furnaces and hydronic boilers, chillers and large-building computerized energy management control systems, ice cube machines, walk-in coolers/freezers and display cases. The HVAC technician should have the ability to install, retrofit, service and repair residential/commercial air handling units that have the capabilities of cooling, heating, humidifying, dehumidifying and filtration of air for environmental control.
Employment opportunities in the residential/commercial heating, cooling, air conditioning and refrigeration field are based on each individual`s goals and qualifications. Opportunities exist in management, sales, service, installation and maintenance of HVAC and refrigeration equipment. Possible positions include: installer, quality control technician, service technician, manufacturer`s representative, sales consultant, layout person and designer. In addition, the A.A.S. degree will help qualify individuals for management positions in the sales, installation, and service of HVAC equipment.
- Obtain OSHA 30 Certification.
- Obtain the EPS Section 608 Refrigerant Handling License.
- Practice human relation skills.
- Demonstrate basic tool usage.
- Apply mathematical, reading, and communication skills essential to the HVAC industry.
- Demonstrate knowledge of International Fuel, Gas and Mechanical codes.
- Troubleshoot electrical motors.
- Troubleshoot control circuits for refrigeration and A/C equipment.
- Troubleshoot gas heating equipment.
- Adjust water systems for HVAC and refrigeration equipment.
- Troubleshoot airflow systems for HVAC equipment.
- Solve problems using analytical thinking.
- HVAC1000 Electrical Circuits 3
- HVAC1005 OSHA 30-Hour Construction Safety Training 2
- HVAC1010 1PH Motors and Auxiliary Controls 2
- HVAC1020 Tube and Pipe Fabrication 2
- HVAC1030 Sheet Metal 2
- HVAC1040 Basic Refrigeration 4
- HVAC1050 Refrigerant Transition and Recovery 1
- HVAC1055 Refrigeration Certification Exam 0
- HVAC1071 Gas Heat Systems 4
- HVAC1110 Electrical Diagrams 2
- HVAC1120 Psychrometrics 1
- HVAC1140 Central Air Conditioners 3
- HVAC1146 Residential Heat Pumps 2
- HVAC1151 Hydronic Heat Systems 2
- HVAC2001 Packaged Heating and Cooling Equipment 4
- HVAC2005 Commercial HVAC/R Safety and Servicing Procedures 2
- HVAC2010 Commercial Heat Pump Systems 2
- HVAC2030 Commercial Ice Making Machines 3
- HVAC2041 Gas/Refrigeration (Mechanical) Code 1
- HVAC2050 Electrical for Commercial HVAC&R Equipment 2
- HVAC2111 Low Pressure Steam and Water Boilers 2
- HVAC2121 Refrigerated Coolers and Cases 4
- HVAC2130 Supermarket Refrigeration 3
- MATH1007 Math for the Trades 2
- PHYS2001 Introductory Physics 3
- COMM2050 Interpersonal Communication 3
- Choose one course from MnTC Goal Area 1 (Communication) 3
- PHIL2100 Critical Thinking 3
- Choose one course from MnTC Goal Area 2 (Critical Thinking) 3
- SOCI2100 Introduction to Sociology 3
- Choose one course from MnTC Goal Area 5 (History and the Social and Behavioral Sciences) 3
- HVAC1015 Residential Heat Load Calculation 1
- HVAC1025 Mini-Split Air Conditioners 1
- HVAC1081 Oil Heat Systems 1
- HVAC1100 Service Call Completion 1
- HVAC1155 Radiant Heat Systems 1
- HVAC1160 Air Quality Systems 1
- HVAC1175 R-410A Certification Training 1
- HVAC1181 MN Class C Boiler Operator License 3
- HVAC1185 R-410A Certification Exam 0
- HVAC2020 Pneumatic Controls 2
- HVAC2060 Computer Room Air Conditioning 1
- HVAC2100 Water Chiller Machines 3
- HVAC2165 Air Handling Units 1
- Hennepin Technical College’s 2000-level general education courses meet the guidelines of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC).
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses