LANDSCAPE AND HORTICULTURE
- Class Time: Day (Typically from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.)
- Semester: Fall, Spring and Summer Semesters
- Campus: Brooklyn Park Campus
Do you want to turn your interest in landscaping and horticulture into a career? Then start at HTC, where classroom instruction and hands-on experience are combined to prepare you for opportunities to grow. From the basics of landscape and horticulture education to specifics of landscape design and construction, greenhouse operations, arboriculture and more, you’ll gain a world of knowledge. You’ll be planting the seeds of success when you start at HTC.
Labs and Classrooms
Our program has several lab areas. Our greenhouse lab building consists of 3 (100 ft. x 30 ft.) greenhouses and a new greenhouse (100 ft. x 40 ft.) featuring the latest technology in lighting, heating/cooling and growing systems. This facility also includes a classroom with SMART technology.
For our Landscape Design programs, a modern CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) lab is utilized. This lab features a teaching wall (25 ft. x 25 ft.) that literally turns the classroom into a theater. The lab contains 25 computer work stations and a Cannon ipf710 wide format printer.
The main design lab is set up to simulate the type of office environment a student might experience upon graduation. This room features such useful tools such as: drafting tables, a wide format Xerox copier, and a Chartpak AD marker work station.
Our main lecture classroom has recently been updated to contain 2 large viewing screens and a GEO wall system.
And last but not least, our Interior Foliage Lab Greenhouse features a space dedicated to plants typically found in most interior landscape/plant settings.
In addition to the on-campus classrooms and labs, many of our programs utilize real-world work/lab environments for example:
- The Greenhouse program hosts a plant sale every May. This sale simulates a typical retail work situation found at a large greenhouse.
- The Landscape Design program simulates the work environment of a landscape designer by designing for an actual home/homeowner in the community.
- The Urban Forestry program works on a variety of community projects that include tree trimming, hazard tree risk assessment, and insect and disease identification.
Supplies / Tools
|Greenhouse Supplies/Tools:||Landscape Design Tools:||Urban Forestry Tools:|
|Hydroponic systems||Computer Aided Drafting systems||Climbing / Roping Gear|
|Vermiculture systems||Hand Drafting tables||Rapelling Ropes|
|HID Lighting systems||Color Rendering work station||Chain Saws|
Possible job titles include: Landscape Designer, Greenhouse Manager, Arborist
Potential Job Titles
Our Landscape Program hosts the MNLA Certified Nursery and Landscape Professional test every January. This is a regional test for industry professionals to become certified in the areas of Landscape Design, Greenhouse Growing and Garden Center Operations.
- Our landscape program is very active at the state level with the MNLA.
- Our student club is a member of PLANET. This allows our students access to many national green industry benefits.
- The Landscape and Horticulture program became the first TREE CAMPUS USA in the state of Minnesota.
We currently have an Articulation agreement with the University of Minnesota at Crookston. Students are able to transfer Hennepin Technical credits towards a Bachelor's Degree in the Horticulture program at the U of M Crookston. We are in the process of finalizing an Articulation with the University of Wisconsin at River Falls.
Greenhouse Technology Instructor:
Debra Kvamme firstname.lastname@example.org 763-488-2470
Landscape Design Instructor:
Jay Siedschlaw email@example.com 763-488-2555
- Arboriculture (Occupational Cert.)
- Greenhouse Management Technician (A.A.S.)
- Greenhouse Production and Floral Design (A.A.S.)
- Greenhouse Technician (Occupational Cert.)
- Landscape Computer Design (Advanced Technical Cert.)
- Landscape Construction (Advanced Technical Cert.)
- Landscape Design and Construction (A.A.S.)
- Landscape Design and Construction (Diploma)
- Landscape/Horticulture (Diploma)
- Landscape/Horticulture (A.A.S.)
- Professional Gardening (Occupational Cert.)
- Urban Forestry Technician (A.A.S.)
Our Advisory Committee consists of many industry professionals that represent the best in Greenhouse Technology, Landscape Design, and Urban Forestry.