MEDICAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
- Program: Medical Office Careers
- Degree: Diploma
- Credits: Total Diploma Credits 48
- Academic Planning Guide:
Medical administrative assistants have the opportunity to work on health care teams. Duties performed utilize a knowledge of medical terminology as well as hospital and clinic procedures and may include transcription of reports and correspondence, appointment and meeting scheduling, patient file and office record maintenance, billing and insurance processing. This career requires excellent communications skills and knowledge of patient confidentiality laws. Prerequisite: CPLT1000 Computer Keyboarding or qualifying score on keyboarding assessment test.
Individuals may choose to work in an acute care hospital, outpatient clinic, extended-care facility, medical insurance office, research facility or another medical environment.
- Apply medical terminology.
- Utilize appropriate software.
- Transcribe medical reports and correspondence.
- Key business correspondence.
- Communicate proper English and grammar.
- Apply medical coding principles.
- Document telephone communication.
- Schedule appointments.
- Demonstrate accounting principles.
- Illustrate professional behavior.
- Demonstrate insurance and billing procedures.
- Interpret HIPAA regulations.
- Utilize electronic health record.
- ACCT1000 Introduction to Accounting 3
- ACCT1102 Principles of Accounting I 4
- ACCT1125 Excel 3
- CCIS1035 Word 2013 3
- CCIS1080 Microsoft Office 2013 3
- CPLT1005 Skill Building and Document Processing 3
- ENGL1010 Business English 3
- OFCR1301 Medical Terminology 4
- OFCR1317 Medical Office Procedures 4
- OFCR1331 Medical Transcription 4
- OFCR1335 Medical Coding and Reimbursement Fundamentals 4
- OFCR1340 Medical Office Management 3
- Any ACCT, BUSN, CCIS, EMSV, -or- OFCR course that is not required for this award may be used as an elective. Recommended:
- EMSV1020 CPR/First Aid 1
- Any HTC college level general education course may be used to satisfy the elective requirement.