EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES SPECIALIST
- Program: Emergency Medical Services
- Degree: Occupational Certificate
- Credits: Total Occupational Certificate Credits 28
- Academic Planning Guide:
The EMS Certificate provides enhanced entry-level job training for employment in a Basic Life Support (BLS) ambulance service and the EMS ride-along experience requirements for persons interested in entering a paramedic program. Included in the program is an 80 hour ride-along clinical with Metro Ambulance Services. Areas covered are special transportation training, an ambulance service operations and run simulation course, behind-the-wheel emergency driving course, proper lifting techniques plus interpersonal communication skills that paramedic schools and employers are seeking. Cleared criminal background check and completed TB skin test required.
The EMS Certificate prepare and enhances a person`s job opportunities for work as an EMT in a BLS medical transportation service or in a ALS service that combines EMT`s and paramedics. The certificate meets several prerequisites in course work and the ride-along ambulance experience required for entry into paramedic programs.
- Demonstrate his/her role and responsibilities as a member of the emergency medical team.
- Apply emergency medical safety principles in the work place.
- Apply critical thinking skills in care management.
- Assess patient for traumatic injuries.
- Assess patient for medical illnesses.
- Demonstrate clear oral communications.
- Exhibit personal, professional and academic ethics.
- Apply quality improvement concepts.
- Classify patient conditions for treatments needed.
- Demonstrate effective treatment skills.
- Demonstrate safe transport of patients.
- Demonstrate skills for the National Registry of EMT’s.
- EMSV1000 Introduction to EMS Systems 1
- EMSV1050 Emergency Medical Responder (First Responder) 3
- EMSV1070 Pediatric Education for Prehospital Providers 1
- EMSV1100 Emergency Medical Technician Basic 6
- EMSV1105 Ambulance Operations 2
- EMSV1110 Lifting Techniques for Health Professionals 1
- EMSV1115 Passenger Assistant Technician 1
- EMSV1120 Ambulance Clinical 2
- EMSV1136 Understanding EKGs 2
- EMSV1146 Medical Terminology for EMS/ER Personnel 3
- EMSV1190 Intravenous (IV) Access 1
- EMSV1195 International Trauma Life Support (ITLS) 1
- EMSV1225 Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) for EMT 1
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses