AUTO BODY TECHNICIAN
- Program: Auto Body Collision Technology
- Degree: Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Credits: Total Associate in Applied Science Degree Credits 72
- Academic Planning Guide:
Auto Body Repair and Refinishing Technicians repair vehicles that are damaged as a result of collisions, corrosion and wear. They provide customers with cost estimates for repair, replace or repair body parts and paint vehicles using various materials, equipment and methods.
Auto Body Technicians work for automotive dealerships, independent auto shops, government agencies and other organizations that maintain their own fleets of trucks and cars. There are also opportunities to be employed as an insurance adjuster, manufacturer`s representative, auto service and sales person or wholesale parts and tool sales person.
- Demonstrate electrical circuit repairs.
- Perform repairs on plastics.
- Create damage report utilizing the procedure pages.
- Perform proper replacement techniques on structural parts.
- Apply straightening techniques on structural parts.
- Demonstrate stationary glass replacement.
- Solve paint application problems.
- Apply primer surfacer to paint company and industry standards.
- Perform techniques for removing and replacing bolt-on parts.
- Body fill a one hour dent to industry standards.
- Execute MIG welding metal procedures according to I-CAR standards.
- Demonstrate metal cutting using an oxy/act torch.
- ABCT1145 Cutting, Heating and MIG Welding 3
- ABCT1150 Trim, Moveable Glass and Hardware 2
- ABCT1155 Metal Straightening and Body Filler I 4
- ABCT1160 Bolt-on, Weld-on Panel Replacement and Alignment 4
- ABCT1165 Using Body Filler II 2
- ABCT1240 Detailing 2
- ABCT1255 Environmental Health, Safety and Equipment Preparation for Finishes 4
- ABCT1260 Surface Preparing and Finish Application 4
- ABCT1265 Tinting and Blending 4
- ABCT2006 Stationary Glass Replacement 1
- ABCT2015 Steering and Suspension 2
- ABCT2040 Restraint Systems 1
- ABCT2051 Damage Analysis and Straightening Structural Parts 4
- ABCT2055 Panel Replacement and Restoring Corrosion Protection 4
- ABCT2146 Electrical and Electronic Systems 2
- ABCT2150 Brake Systems 1
- ABCT2175 Analyzing Damage/Creating a Manual Damage Report 2
- ABCT2185 Plastic Adhesive and Welding Repairs 2
- ABCT2190 Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems 2
- ABCT2495 Auto Body Internship I 4
- ABCT2505 Auto Body Internship III 3
- Hennepin Technical College’s 2000-level general education courses meet the guidelines of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC).