EMERGENCY ROOM TECHNICIAN
- Program: Emergency Medical Services
- Degree: Occupational Certificate
- Credits: Total Occupational Certificate Credits 21
- Academic Planning Guide:
The Emergency Room Technician (ER Tech) Certification prepares you to be part of the health care team in an Emergency Department (ED) or Urgent Care setting. This certificate will enhances your job opportunities because of the knowledge and skills acquired in the classroom plus the supervised clinical in a metro hospital Emergency Department. Some of the courses and skills taught are EMT, administering a 12-lead EKG test, venipuncture techniques (blood drawing), splinting and casting, urinary catheterization, wound cleaning, IV set-up and proper lifting techniques. Students are required to pass the Nursing Assistant written and skills tests. Cleared criminal background check and completed TB skin test required.
The new ER Tech Certification provides a standard that Hospital ED`s and Urgent Care Centers and clinics are seeking in this entry-level position for a health care career. This training and work experience will expose you and prepare you for other health care careers in hospitals and clinics.
- Demonstrate his/her role and responsibilities as a member of the emergency medical team.
- Apply emergency medical safety principles in the work place.
- Apply critical thinking skills in care management.
- Assess patient for traumatic injuries.
- Assess patient for medical illnesses.
- Demonstrate clear oral communications.
- Exhibit personal, professional and academic ethics.
- Apply quality improvement concepts.
- Classify patient conditions for treatments needed.
- Demonstrate effective treatment skills.
- Demonstrate safe transport of patients.
- Demonstrate skills for the National Registry of EMT’s.
- EMSV1050 Emergency Medical Responder (First Responder) 3
- EMSV1100 Emergency Medical Technician Basic 6
- EMSV1110 Lifting Techniques for Health Professionals 1
- EMSV1136 Understanding EKGs 2
- EMSV1155 Phlebotomy Techniques 3
- EMSV1170 ER Procedures and Clinical 3
- EMSV1146 Medical Terminology for EMS/ER Personnel (Optional) 3