COMPUTER NUMERICAL CONTROL (CNC) SETUP TECHNICIAN
- Program: Machine Tool Technology
- Degree: Advanced Technical Certificate
- Credits: Total Advanced Technical Certificate Credits 17
- Academic Planning Guide:
CNC Setup Technicians run computer-controlled machine tools that produce highly precise parts used in many of the products we use on a daily basis. Setup Technicians may tend one machine or several at one time. Setup Technician duties vary from operating the machine to setup of cutting tools, fixtures, programs, and producing the complete part. The CNC Setup Technician Advanced Technical certificate builds upon the skills developed for the CNC Operator certificate with additional training in computer numerical control. Emphasis will be placed on basic programming, editing, and operation of CNC lathes and milling machines. Prerequisite: Graduation from or concurrent enrollment in a 2-year machine tool program or a minimum or 2 years of related work experience.
Many well-paying jobs are available in medical, aerospace, computer and recreational industries. Completion of this certificate may lead to entry-level employment as a CNC Setup Technician.
- Demonstrate milling procedures
- Demonstrate turning procedures
- Interpret blueprints/drawings
- Machine parts with tolerance
- Apply math skills necessary for industry requirements
- Operate equipment safely
- Operate CNC machines efficiently
- Demonstrate teamwork
- Develop part designs within a group