Medical Assistants are an integral part of the health care team. The Medical Assistant program prepares you to be a multi-skilled professional who assists in patient care management. The program focus is to ensure development of the critical skills needed to perform clinical, laboratory, and administrative duties. In the ambulatory care setting medical assistants collect patient data, collect and prepare laboratory specimens, and provide patient education related to procedures, medications and diet. Prerequisite: 8-hour CPR course for Health Care Providers offered by the American Heart Association or 8-hour CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer course offered by the American Red Cross or EMSV1020, BIOL2045 or HLTH1010, ENGL2121, COMM2020 or COMM2050 or COMM2060, HLUC1020 and qualifying score reading, writing, math, computer literacy and keyboarding assessment tests.
By the year 2020, one out of four Americans will be age 65 or older. With both an aging population and workforce, the demand for health care professionals will continue to increase. As professionals with knowledge in three areas of patient care (clinical, laboratory and administrative procedures), Medical Assistants are in high demand throughout the health care industry. The program can also serve as a stepping stone to other health care careers, such as Emergency Medical Technician, Licensed Practical Nurse, Registered Nurse, and physician’s assistant, which all require further training.
- Analyze Medical Assistant Knowledge to deliver quality health care to the patient in the ambulatory care setting.
- Complete Required American Association Medical Assistant Competencies.
- Demonstrate the role and responsibilities of the medical assistant as a member of the health care team.
- Apply accurate oral and written communication skills.
- Utilize effective critical thinking skills.
- Value legal and ethical obligations within the medical assistant scope of practice.
- BIOL2045 Human Biology 4
- HLTH1010 Anatomy and Physiology 4
- HLTH1020 Disease Conditions 3
- HLUC1020 Medical Terminology 2
- MAST1015 Medical Assistant Administrative I 3
- MAST1020 Lab I 4
- MAST1030 Clinical Procedures I 4
- MAST1045 Pharmacology 3
- MAST1060 Documentation for Health Care Professionals 2
- MAST2000 Fundamentals of Radiographic Imaging 2
- HLTH1000 Introduction to Health Careers 3
- HLTH2001 Nutrition and Health 2
- MAST2015 Medical Assistant Administrative II 3
- MAST2021 Lab II 2
- MAST2035 Clinical Procedures II 5
- MAST2041 Practicum 6
- EMSV1155 Phlebotomy Techniques 3
Academic Planning Guide:
Apply Now Search Awards Search Courses