- Class Time: Day
- Semester: Fall or Spring Semester
- Campus: Brooklyn Park Campus
Do you want to learn what it takes to be a great chef in today`s job market? You have come to the right place! HTC's Culinary Arts program gives you the skills to saute, decorate cakes, carve chocolate, design menus, prepare banquets, and cater large events. You'll gain a solid foundation of cooking and technique. What's more, students train to be a part of a gourmet restaurant by experiencing all stations within the food service industry such as "front of the house" in HTC's on-campus gourmet dining room. Students will also experience the theoretical side of the business, learning exactly what it takes to run a restaurant business and succeed. Top off your education with a bit of ice carving, pulled and blown sugar, fundamentals of wine, and international cuisine. Bon appetit!
Supplies / Tools
Students must purchase uniforms for the first day of class. Students may wait to purchase appropriate footwear after talking with the chef-instructor.
The culinary uniform consists of the following:
- Three white jackets with knotted buttons. They will have the HTC logo and your first and last name.
- Men’s (unisex) $16.00 (estimated cost)
- Women’s $24.80
- Three pair of houndstooth checked pants.
- Men’s (unisex) pleated w/zipper $14.40
- Men’s (unisex) baggy w/elastic waist $17.60
- Women’s low-rise $30.40
- One hat, classic toque $8.80
- Two to three aprons $10.40
You are also required to wear chef’s footwear, black shoes with a slip resistant sole. There are many styles including chef’s clogs and open backed styles, available at many vendors including Midway Uniform and online. Today, even high end chef’s shoes may be made of synthetic materials, though leather is still a material of choice. You may not wear shoes made of canvas. In the culinary profession your choice of shoes is important so the chef-instructor will be there to advise you.
The toolkit may be purchased at either HTC Campus Store. You will need your toolkit beginning sometime during the first week of Introduction to Culinary Arts.
- 9" CHEF'S KNIFE MILLENNIA-BULK
- 6" CURVED BONING-STIFF-MILLENNIA-BULK
- 3” PARING KNIFE
- 10" STEEL KNIFE
- 8" OFFSET SPATULA - BULK
- MEASURING SPOON SET
- LEMON ZESTER
- 1" & 7/8" DOUBLE PARISIENNE CUTTER (MELON BALLER)
- LARGE SCRAPER - HEAT RESISTANT
- SWIVEL PEELER-PLASTIC HANDLE
- 8" BREAD KNIFE-MILLENNIA BULK
- DIGITAL THERMOMETER (-40/450)
- #4 STAR TUBE
- BENCH SCRAPER - BULK
- 14" PASTRY BAG (2)
- LARGE TONGS
- 9-1/2" OFFSET PERFORATED TURNR
- MEASURING CUP SET
- 2" PASTRY BRUSH
- CHANNEL KNIFE
- 20" YELLOW TOOL BOX
- SMALL DECORATING TUBE SET, 21 pieces, includes coupler
- MICROPLANE WIDE GRATER, FINE
Students enrolling at Hennepin Technical College will complete Accuplacer Placement Testing. The purpose of the assessment test is to provide you and the college with information about your current academic skill levels in reading, writing, mathematics, and computer literacy. This will help you select appropriate courses and support services, help you succeed, plan a course of study with your counselor or academic advisor, and have a successful college experience.
Employment may be found in restaurants, hotels, clubs, health care facilities, schools, resorts, and other food-related operations.
Job Outlook / Gainful Employment
Possible job titles include: Restaurant cook, banquet cook, baker, assistant pastry chef, kitchen manager, personal chef, caterer, and chef/manager.Gainful Employment Disclosure:
Potential Job Titles
HTC's Culinary Arts program has been accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation (ACFEF) since 1985.
Benefits of choosing an ACFEF accredited culinary program include:
- Proven quality in curriculum, faculty, instructional resources, support staff, and organizational structure
- ACF student members are eligible to receive an ACF certification up to one year after graduation from a postsecondary program by completing the necessary requirements
- Certificate of completion for students completing a secondary program and the necessary requirements
- Complimentary subscription to Sizzle, ACF’s quarterly magazine specifically for students pursuing a career as a professional in culinary arts or baking pastry arts.
An articulation agreement between Hennepin Technical College and the following institution will facilitate credit transfer of HTC's Culinary Arts A.A.S. degree toward a bachelor's degree:
- Metropolitan State University (B.A.S. in Hospitality Management)
To learn more about the chefs in the Culinary Arts programs visit Chefographies.