- Class Time: Day
- Semester: Fall Semester
- Campus: Brooklyn Park and Eden Prairie
HTC’s Dental Assistant program will prepare you to be an important member of a professional health team. With training at HTC, you will gain the skills to assist a dentist during patient treatment, as well as complete patient records. You’ll also learn to keep a dental office running smoothly … from appointment scheduling and telephone communications to laboratory procedures. A licensed dental assistant is able to perform all expanded functions authorized by the Minnesota Board of Dentistry, including taking radiographs (x-rays), polishing teeth, placing pit and fissure sealant, taking impressions, performing orthodontic procedures, placing and removing of dental dams, and much more.
To begin the Dental Assistant program, please apply to the college and review additional steps under the Entry Requirements section below.
ALUMNI IN ACTION
Let us know you are interested in Dental Assistant:
Labs and Classrooms
HTC's classrooms, labs, and clinics are equipped with state-of-the-art dental equipment including digital radiography. Both campus clinics utilize computers with hands-on EagleSoft dental software within each patient treatment area. To keep up-to-date with the latest technology and trends, HTC's Dental Assistant program is reviewed by an advisory committee comprised of leaders in the dental community. This ensures that graduates are prepared to succeed on the job.
Supplies / Tools
Students are requred to have the following:
- Books, program kit (various dental supplies, including gloves, masks, typodont with tooth preps, mouth covering, tongue), uniform scrubs, gown, lab coat, shoes, student name tag, computer headphones, and copying fees. American Dental Assistant Association student membership and liability insurance are also required.
- Upon graduation, the following fees will be incurred: MN Jurisprudence Exam, Dental Assistant National Board, and MN Licensure Exam and Minnesota Board of Dentistry Application to become a Licensed Dental Assistant.
Personal qualities considered essential for this occupation are the ability to work well with others, the desire to be a part of a professional team, manual dexterity, good communication skills, and the ability to follow direct supervision.
Program first semester registration requirements:
- Score of 70% or higher on Computer Literacy Basic Test or CPLT 1100 Essential Computer Applications
- Completed the EMSV1020 CPR/First Aid course OR current CPR for Health Care Provider of Professional Rescuer.
- COMM2050 Interpersonal Communication (C or better grade) or COMM2060 Small Group Communication (C or better grade)
- DNTL1121 Dental Science (C or better grade)
- ENGL2121 Writing and Research (C or better grade)
Students are also required to complete the following prior to the first semester:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Tetanus vaccination (TDAP) within the last 10 years
- Hepatitis B Vaccination (2 vaccinations of a series of 3 must be completed)
- Mantoux testing upon entrance into first semester courses
Important information while in the program:
- Current certification of CPR is mandatory throughout the entire program, including externships. Proof of current CPR certification is also required in order to take the national certification examinination.
- Minnesota law requires a background study for any persons who provide services that involve direct contact with children, patients, and residents at a health or child care faciltiy licensed by the State of Minnesota. Contact the Department of Human Services (651-431-2000) with questions. Contact MN Depar
- A written notification is required from a physician or obstetrician for a pregnant student to continue enrollment in Radiology, expanded functions, and clinical externships.
- Information is available on the HTC website and from dental assistant program faculty which state the risks of entering this profession in regard to bloodborne pathogens and disease transmission, including needlesticks.
Dental Assistant Application:
- Submit the the completed program application and immunization form by Wednesday, February 28, 2018 for the Fall 2018 semester.
- Send application and immunization via certified or registered mail to: Lori Laabs / Dental Assistant Application, Hennepin Technical College, 13100 College View Drive, Eden Prairie, MN 55347
Certified and Licensed Dental Assistants provide direct and indirect patient care under the supervision of a dentist in a variety of private and public dental office and clinic settings.
Resources for learning more about the Dental Assistant profession:
Job Outlook / Gainful Employment
Dental Assistant graduates are employed in many areas of dentistry, including general dentistry as well as dental specialties such as pediatric dentistry, orthodontics, endodontics, periodontics, and oral and maxillofacial surgery. Job titles include Licenced Dental Assistant (LDA) and Certified Dental Assistant (CDA). Dental Assistants are in demand in private or group practices and clinics, government public health clinics, insurance companies, the armed forces, and educational institutions . With experience and continuing dental education, opportunities in advanced positions may be attained such as a patient coordinator, dental practice manager, dental manufacturer, sales representative, or dental educator.
Check out this website for more great Job Outlook Information:
Possible job titles include: Licensed Dental Assistant (LDA), Certified Dental Assistant (CDA); With additional education: Restorative Function Dental Assistant, Certified Orthodontic Assistant (COA), Certified Oral Preventive Assistant (COPA) and others.
Gainful Employment Disclosure:
Potential Job Titles
The Dental Assistant program at Hennepin Technical College is approved by the Minnesota Board of Dentistry www.dentalboard.state.mn.us and accredited by the American Dental Association www.ada.org , Commission on Dental Accreditation http://www.ada.org and has been granted the accreditation status of "approved without reporting requirements."
Hennepin Technical College is accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Institution of Higher Education, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602-2504, 1-800-621-7440.
- American Dental Assistants Association (ADAA)*
- Minnesota Dental Assistants Association (MDAA)*
- Dental Assistant National Board (DANB)
*Students have the opportunity for membership in the ADAA and MDAA as student members.
All faculty are members of the American Dental Assistants Association, MN Dental Assistants Association, MN Educators of Dental Assistants (MEDA) and are certified by the Dental Assistant National Board (DANB).
The purpose of the Dental Assistant Advisory Committee is to promote a partnership between career and technical education, business labor and the communities they serve. Advisory committee members provide input on program structure, curriculum, technology, and student preparation. Become an Advisory Committee Member. For more information contact Lori Laabs at 952-995-1403
Employers: Post a job on the Career Services website.
Equipment & Supplies Donation: Contact Susan Thaemert at 952-995-1593.
Hennepin Technical College builds cooperative relationships and partnerships with other educational institutions, business, and industry to help position HTC graduates to compete in a global markerplace. These business and industry connections help make HTC one of the leaders in education for employment.
Advisory Committee Affiliations:
- Children's Dental Services
- Metro DentalCare
- Park Dental
- Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC)
- Patterson Dental
- Drs. Frys and Larson